Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022-2023 TV Season
Does such a thing even exist any more?

Sort of kind of. The networks are rolling out some news show for the new year. Will Trent is one such show. It airs on ABC and we watched it last night.

As far as police procedurals go, it was pretty good. Will Trent works for the Georgia bureau of Investigation. All the other cops hate him because he just closed a major police corruption case that put away a lot of other cops. He's also much smarter than the other cops, a touch on the spectrum and dyslexic. He's monk only more serious.

In the pilot, there is murdered girl and a kidnapped girl. Trent is the one who realizes that there is also a kidnapping. There is a parallel undercover operation into drug sales. There is also quite the soap opera going on in the police force as cops hook up with cops and get assigned to partners they don't want to be assigned with. The usual tropes. 

But the show has a bit of style and I am interested in the characters so I will watch more.

I continue to watch the Rookie as it completely abandons its presence at being a cop show and becomes a late night work place soap opera. Last night was a cross over event with Rookie: Feds. I've decided not to watch the second half because I just hate the lead character in that show.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

The Ark

Dean Devlin! The cheese factor on this is high! I will watch the first episode. 

I'm not even able to watch broadcast TV anymore. No aerial. 

The only thing that might qualify would be CW's Kung Fu, but I watch that online. Or at least I did when I was still watching it.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I was a big fan of ArkII. (mostly for the brubaker box https://www.autoevolution.com/news/moder...43682.html)  Maybe there will be a tie-in

(01-05-2023, 12:56 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: I'm not even able to watch broadcast TV anymore. No aerial. 

Not even at your mom's house?

Nope. My mom had xfinity but we disconnected the TV service because I don't use. We scaled it back to just the internet provider because that's all I use there. It's pricey.

I used to have an old Radio Shack antennae that I hooked up to my TV at home, but I tossed it a while back. I got so many streaming services that it seemed pointless. The only station that came through clearly was Telemundo. 

Y'all still watch broadcast, do ya? How jurassic.
Sports. News broadcasts. Bad police procedurals.

Gotham Knights March

Oh, yay. CW tries again with a Batman adjacent story with lots of pretty young people

I kind of watched Night Court. It had its moments. Now, it's back with Harry Stones daughter in the Judges chair. Mellissa Rauch of The Big Bang Theory plays the Judge Abby Stone. Larroquette is back as Fielding but this time he plays the Public Defender.

This show is everything you hate about sitcoms. The laugh track is too loud. The jokes aren't very funny. Everyone hams it up. Blech

And the most hate worthy event is reserved for the Queen. Is the German word for Hate-Pleasure, the pleasure you get from hating some so fully? The Queen hates court shows because they so frequently get some point of courtroom etiquette wrong. God forbid they should screw up the court reporter. In this case, they do. Fully. The stenograph machines haven't used a paper tape feed out the back of the machine in a billion years. But those are the machines Set Dressers loved to use because nothing says court reporter to them like that paper slip coming out of the machine. It's even better when the court reporter goes and reads that tape. They did both in Night Court. I could feel The Queen's Hate Pleasure rolling off her in waves at the sight of it, despite the fact she wasn't even in the room rather she was in Chicago. I could still feel it by proxy.

Give this reboot a miss.

Never really watched the original. I like Rauch, but I got my fill of her in the Bronze http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=3936
Ark

The Ark is colony set out from a dying earth. The ship runs into some trouble five years into a six year journey and the colonists all have to be awakened. The big problem is that the entire command crew of the colony ship were killed in the incident. Now it is up to the colonists to find a way to manage a ship that is running out of air and water and land it safely at the colony planet.

This is the kind of show that makes me hate with white hot passion. So many things make no sense. From the minute they abruptly wake up to the final scene where they find one of the colonists murdered, I had question after question. It made for a long show. It's all very adult soap opera, too. Everyone is angry at everyone. There is a shower scene. And for some of the brightest minds on earth (Their description) they all act pretty dumb.

I'm going to say skip this show.

(02-06-2023, 07:24 AM)Greg Wrote: Ark

The Ark is colony set out from a dying earth. The ship runs into some trouble five years into a six year journey and the colonists all have to be awakened. The big problem is that the entire command crew of the colony ship were killed in the incident. Now it is up to the colonists to find a way to manage a ship that is running out of air and water and land it safely at the colony planet.

This is the kind of show that makes me hate with white hot passion. So many things make no sense. From the minute they abruptly wake up to the final scene where they find one of the colonists murdered, I had question after question. It made for a long show. It's all very adult soap opera, too. Everyone is angry at everyone. There is a shower scene. And for some of the brightest minds on earth (Their description) they all act pretty dumb.

I'm going to say skip this show.

Perhaps they are on the "B" ark...

--tg
Animal Control

Oh, my word! A network comedy on Fox. Joel McHale stars as an animal control officer in this workplace comedy. My first thought was this city must have a huge budget for animal control officers. They were everywhere and they all had trucks. McHale is older jaded officer who used to be a police officer breaking in a new partner that McHale doesn't want.

There was one very funny scene where the rookie officer tries to get a Ferret out of a home. Things go poorly.

Animal Control is rife with the usual tropes of workplace comedies. I hope the show gets better as the writers learn to write the characters better. I'm in for a few more episodes.

High Concept! A family of conmen are going to team up with the CIA to take down a fentanyl ring, I think. The first episode had a lot going on. First, there is Milo Ventimigla and his family of cons. They pull off the big score against some crook only to be robbed by Milo's fiancee. Now they are deep in debt. Meanwhile there is the CIA lady who found out her fiancee is cheating on her. Naturally both the CIA lady and Milo are at the same hotel, so they hook for a 36 hour binge.

So, yes, it's soapy. Milo's dad is in the early stages of Alzheimers. Milo's sister is mad at everyone especially Milo. Meanwhile CIA lady is trying to live up to the concerns of her very famous family. And all this is happening while CIA lady is tracking down the Fentanyl Kingpin who is also the same guy that Mile cheated.

And there is more twistiness. And soap stuff. It's a very TV sort of show. I might watch some more.

Raylon Givens is back in this continuation of Justified. I don't know what to call it. A sequel? Special event? I also don't know where to post it. I thought we had a Justified thread, but it hides from me. I'll just put it here.

The show starts it's limited run on July 17th on FX.