Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DM's quest for work
(06-12-2020, 07:57 PM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: Bureau of Land Management? They have been in the news a lot lately.

Wait...who are you dating again?

Yeah, it's still only a part time temp gig. I'm hoping it'll evolve to something more permanent and full-time, but there's a lot of work to be done to make this puppy fly first. Most of the employees are alumni and many have been on staff for many years, plus there's some nepotism and of course, Chinese face politics (but those last two factors are challenges that I'm painfully used to already).  

I still have to juggle my side hustles to make ends meet. 

Yo ho yo ho a ronin's life for me.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I got my official USAWKF T-shirt on. It has the logo of the sponsor, Tiger Claw's biggest competitor for the China market, on the back (so off camera). It says 100% cotton on the label and it's soft material but it's really thin and has a faint synthetic odor that I can't quite place.

The webinar series is starting now. Facebook link here: https://www.facebook.com/usawkf/videos/1...UxNzQ4NzA/

I got my official Five Branches mug too.

New banners to bear. 

Ronin don't care. Just toss Ronin the money and point him in the direction of who you want him to kill...
Here's the ZOOM link: www.zoom.us/j/98601911331

No questions about knickers please. 
Time to start looking for 46 other Ronin.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

The other Ronin are hidden among 14 million unemployed peasants.

Been watching the webinars on and off all day. It has alleviated my concerns because they've been fairly amateur, same old schpeals from a lot of old friends. As I'm the final one, I'm claiming Headliner and Main Event. 

I'm ready. I've got a pile o swords next to me and my notes. Stacking those swords made me feel like Mifune just before the finale fight in Seven Samurai, sticking a cache of swords in the mud because he has to kill many people. 

Oh wait, no. He dies at the end. 

It's more like Chow Yun Fat in ...dammit what is the name of that HK gangster flick he did with John Woo...I know, I know, so many...the one where he's calming walking into his target's lair, flirting with passing gals, and discreetly tucking guns in flower pots for later use.  Yeah, that's what I feel like. Chow lives at the end of that flick, right? 

The hardest part about Ronin life is you're so expendable.
So? We’re you killed?
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Totally killed.

twas a good day to die...

...but i took down many with me.

getting a lot of positive feedback on my webinar. had the most views and the most questions of any of the presenters. they are discussing giving me an extra half hour next time just to field questions.

and you guys know the rules there...

no knicker questions.
I was one away.....dammit.

s(k)nicker.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
(06-13-2020, 09:02 PM)Greg Wrote: I was one away.....dammit.

Really? I wasn't tuned into the questions. They were too distracting so I just let my proctor deal with them. And they disappeared when the session ended. 

It's a weird way to teach. You don't see your audience so it's like talking into a void. All you see is yourself, which just exacerbates self consciousness. I'm not very comfortable with that. I like to get more feedback with my viewers. It's more encouraging to see where their eyes are staring and of course, the real motivation is those bills stuffed in the g-string. Wait...no...that doesn't happen. What am I saying? Dammit, all I can see in my mind's eye is yeti haunches now.

(06-13-2020, 09:14 PM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: s(k)nicker.

Correction. Yeti haunches in knickers eating snickers. 

Ew.
I didn't see any questions queuing up for you, so I lobbed that 18 legendary weapons of China one.  But apparently there were questions I wasn't seeing.
Sorry to knock yours down a spot, Greg.
I'm nobody's pony.
Questions came in from zoom vid, zoom chat & Facebook. Not sure how that was all sorted. That was the tech guy’s job. Coincidentally, his name was Eugene. We’ve known about each other for years because there’s not many Genes in CMA, so it was fun to finally interact.
I kid. I didn't ask any questions, knickers or otherwise. But I was there. I did like the miniature weapons rack as a display item. I think you should get a microphone and some lighting, although the lighting in your studio wasn't bad.

You did seem to hew to your outline very well from weapon to weapon. You would kind of disappear from the frame when you rocked back your chair after you displayed your weapon.

I'm glad it was a success.

That wasn't our 'studio'. That was the North Chamber!

It was tricky to figure a good place in out tiny bungalow to shoot this but as I've mentioned here before, the North Chamber gets the best wifi. The North Chamber is barely a room, just a bit over 10x10. Just off camera is our widescreen and a bed/couch. It's where I'm sitting right now. That gave me about a square yard as my 'studio'. Framing was tricky for sure. I'll probably use the same set up for my next one next month. I'm not sure what I'll do for my final one because I need to set up my portable workbench and vice, but that's two months out so I've got some time to sort it.

Lighting was an open window to the backyard that faced me, and a desk lamp bounced off the widescreen. There's an overhead like but that makes my ever expanding forehead shine too much. I need one of those ring lights, an inexpensive one. Any thoughts?

I looked into getting a lav. There are some cheap ones but I couldn't quite sort the interface for a Surface Pro. I'm still sorting this. If you have any advice too, on this, please let me know (I'd want something cheap). I was greatly relieved to see that all the other presenters had horrible sound so mine came off a little better in contrast. 

I strayed from my notes a lot. They were well positioned so I could take cues, but it was too weird looking at myself all the time and I got distracted. I'll have to sort that better next time.

Thanks for the pro criticism. Srsly. Your input is very helpful here (I'm wearing my Bad Ass Bunny shirt today in gratitude).

BTW, the vid can be watched on facebook (as if y'all don't get your fill of me here already) https://media.tenor.com/images/ffb1fba04.../tenor.gif 

It's 7 hours but I was the final presenter (the main event! the headliner!) so just fast forward to the last hour.