Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DM's quest for work
20 followers is now 21.  Drinking age!
I'm nobody's pony.
(06-03-2020, 04:10 PM)Greg Wrote: Money is good.
(06-03-2020, 07:04 PM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: Snack is good.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
(05-29-2020, 04:36 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Today has been a good day.

I got offered a part-time position (20 hours a week) at the place that I interviewed for last week. We're moving to the next step to nail down the details.

I got tapped by an old friend to do a freelance interview. Compensation is minimal but it's for a prestigious outlet, one that I would love to continue to serve as a reporter. The phoner is next Monday, interview due Thursday morning, akin to the schedule I used to abide by for screeners for KFM.  

GOOD NEWS - The part-time position may have just gone full-time. We'll call this 5BU for now, until the deal is sealed, then I'll reveal.

BAD NEWS - After delivering that interview, along with samples of previous work to that prestigious outlet, communication has gone silent. My editor friend had been batting back emails within hours but now I've not heard from him for a few days. We'll call this one DoG for now. I imagine the interview will go live this weekend to coincide with the premiere.
Ah! I am understanding now
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
explain it to me then cuz i am so confuzzled...

oh...you mean this http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...3#pid38553

i was hoping you had the answer to some bigger questions, like some much needed elaboration on '42'...
BAM! We are live. 

BE WATER: Director Bao Nguyen Reveals Bruce Lee’s Fight Against Racism in America
[Image: Be-Water-Bruce-Lee-ESPN.jpg?resize=768%2C432]
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/be-wate...bruce-lee/

DoG = Den of Geek

My editor liked my work and is open to more pitches from me. It's very promising.  He was also interested in my column title 'Fast Forward to the Fight Scenes' which I co-own with TC Media. Jonny is fine with me using my own previously published material for other properties - he feels terrible about what all happened and wants me to succeed with new jobs. We'll see what becomes of this. 

Meanwhile, I'm seeking new stuff to pitch now. 

Alas, Freelance/Ronin life.
FFTTFS is a good title. You present well on vid, so might vlog/podcast well
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
My column started as 'Chollywood Rising' which I thought was super witty at the time because it was an industry term a decade ago. But that faded. No one uses it now. So I switched. I think the trickiest thing for me reviewing my genre has been not to come off too Joe Bob Briggs sounding. I so want to poach his 'fu' usage as in 'chainsaw fu, sledgehammer fu, icepick fu...' That and his breast count were brilliant. He was a fav reviewer for years. The only thing I got is the 'swordfights' schtick, which I only use here, and it's something I poached off a KF brother who used to always say in his personal reviews that any movie could be improved with the inclusion of a giant robot.

DoG doesn't do columns, but my editor pondered the idea of doing some sort of video series. We'll see what comes of this. I'm hopeful. Working for DoG enables my inner nerd...or my inner geek. It's a UK thing originally.
Gets you into San Diego Comicon in *style*, too.
If there ever is another SDCC, yeah, I'm thinking that. Still bummed that this year collapsed. That was such fun with Tara - I raised a major nerd princess.
Good work, Parents of Tara.
Thanks. It's an unending mission.
I'm presenting next weekend for the 2020 USAWKF Online Summer Seminar Series. https://www.usawkf.com/page.php?ID=24&fb...RCUv5ADeHA

It's says that all the masters volunteered their time, but I've been promised an honorarium. I do NOT trust the USAWKF. They are a horribly corrupt org, an embarrassment for a NGB. However the rep that approached me about this project is a friend, one of the new young turks of the org, and I do trust him. 

I'm scheduled to present 3 webinars. Payment is alleged to happen immediately after each one. So we shall see.

Alas, Ronin life...
Treachery abounds
(06-01-2020, 04:06 PM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: Clothes maketh the DM. You’ll be amazed how much getting a change of costume and a trim can do for your mood. 

The encouraging Yeti speaks the truth.

osme of the new clothes Stacy ordered for me came. New Levis, black and dark blue. They fit great. I've been deep in utilitarian attire - BDUs, Carharts, pants with cargo pockets - it's fallout from working shows and tournaments. I always need more pockets for tools, batteries and weapons. It's been a long time since I've got a nice pair of jeans. Typically I get some off label sale jeans. These are nice and they fit perfectly. 

Clothes maketh the Ronin.