Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remakes, come-backs, and spin-offs
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Did we talk about this one?  Because what this reboot needs is CGI car chases.... not.  

Quote:JUNE 04, 2018 3:29pm PT by Borys Kit
Doug Liman Circling 'Cannonball Run'
[Image: doug_liman.jpg]
Getty Images

Doug Liman

The director is looking to steer the remake of the popular Burt Reynolds-Farrah Fawcett 1981 car-race film.
High-octane director Doug Liman is revving up his engines for a remake of The Cannonball Run.
The filmmaker behind Edge of Tomorrow and Mr. and Mrs. Smith is in early talks to direct the modern take on the 1981 comedy hit that was helmed by master stuntman Hal Needham, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
The premise involves a group of rule-breaking misfits that team up to compete in a cross-country road race from Connecticut to California.
The initial movie was an all-star endeavor toplined by Burt Reynolds, Roger Moore, Farah Fawcett, Dean Martin, Dom DeLuise and a young Jackie Chan.
Thomas Lennon and Ben Garant wrote the script for the new incarnation.
Rawson Marshall Thurber was circling the project last year, but his focus is now on Red Notice, an action project with Dwayne Johnson.
Liman is in the middle of postproduction and scheduling reshoots for Chaos Walking, his adaptation of a YA novel by Patrick Ness that stars Tom Holland and Daisy Ridley.
Don't get me started on Doug Liman.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(06-05-2018, 09:42 AM)Greg Wrote: Don't get me started on Doug Liman.

gotta poke that canker sore.

do tell...

(06-26-2017, 06:24 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: FTW!!!!!

Quote:'Tremors' (1990) (Courtesy of Photofest)
Jason Blum will exec produce the drama with Andrew Miller on board to serve as showrunner for the reboot of the 1990 film.
Syfy is rebooting Tremors (again).
The NBCUniversal-owned cable network has handed out a pilot order for a TV adaptation of the 1990 film starring Kevin Bacon. The drama, which is produced by Universal Cable Productions, counts Jason Blum and showrunner Andrew Miller among its creative team. In addition to starring, Bacon will also executive produce alongside David Schiff (Southpaw) and Blumhouse Television.
The film centered on a repairman (Bacon) and his friend who uncover several mysterious deaths in their small desert town of Perfection, Nev., only to discover a group of giant, worm-like monsters who eat human flesh below the surface. The group must then fight to stay alive. Miller (The Secret Circle) will pen the script for the revival, which picks up 25 years after the events of the film and finds Valentine McKee (Bacon) attempting to save the town again — but this time, also battling age, alcohol and a delusional hero complex.
The horror film, which was produced by Universal Pictures, grossed $16 million at the box office before it became a cult classic on home video and spawned four sequels. Syfy (then Sci-Fi) first attempted a TV remake in 2003; however, Tremors: The Series was canceled after one 13-episode season. A second TV adaptation was announced in late 2015 but failed to land a network at the time.
Read more: Kevin Bacon to Star in 'Tremors' TV Reboot From Jason Blum
The official news comes a day after Bacon, in an interview Sunday at the Edinburgh International Film Festival, discussed returning to the character when he revealed that the reboot had landed at Syfy.
“This is the only character I've played that I've ever thought about revisiting. I just got to thinking, where would this guy end up after 25 years?” Bacon said Monday in a Syfy release announcing the pilot pickup. "Andrew Miller has a fantastic take on it and we hope to create a show that will be fun and scary for fans of the movie and folks that have yet to discover it. Let's kick some Graboid ass!”
Read more: Kevin Bacon Talks 'Six Degrees' Game, 'I Love Dick,' and "Not Being "F—able" | Comedy Actor Roundtable
A potential Tremors reboot comes in the midst of a branding refresh for Syfy, which is timed to the network's 25th anniversary. As part of that refresh, the network is hoping to double down on original programming, with such upcoming projects as the Superman prequel series Krypton and Happy!, an adaptation of the famed Grant Morrison graphic novel, both of which recently earned series pickups.
"We are doubling down and embracing this core [fanboy] audience. With Syfy as a name, we want to own the genre," Chris McCumber, president of entertainment networks at NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, told The Hollywood Reporter in May. "We have to create a home and universe for fans to come and celebrate the genre they love. That's why we're opening this up and building the network around those passionate fans. We are the only TV network whose only mission is to live and breathe science fiction 24/7."
A Tremors reboot would mark Bacon's second series, joining his Amazon dark comedy I Love Dick.
For Blum, the Tremors remake is one of several scripted series he is executive producing. He is also working with Syfy (as well as sibling channel USA Network) on a TV adaptation of the Purge horror films, as well as on the Amy Adams drama Sharp Objects for HBO and a miniseries centered on former Fox News chief Roger Ailes, which is set for Showtime.
Read more: Superman Prequel 'Krypton,' Grant Morrison's 'Happy' Score Syfy Series Pickups
"We are so pleased to continue our partnership with Syfy and UCP in reviving this cult classic with none other than Kevin Bacon as Valentine McKee; we look forward to thrilling original fans and new audiences alike," said Blum.
The Tremors reboot is Syfy's third pilot in contention and joins George R.R. Martin's Nightflyers as well as The Machine.

I thought they already passed on the Tremors TV show with Bacon.

Many years ago I saw Blood Beach, starring John Saxon.  Recently I heard that it never got a DVD release and is hard to find.  Anyway, I remember it being surprisingly good (though I was much younger then), and now I'm realizing its similarities to Tremors.  Has the case ever been made that Blood Beach was the inspiration for the Tremors franchise?

Also, if this latest is going to star Kevin Bacon, shouldn't they refine the killing technique of the graboids so that they dismember the victim with their bite, into four limbs, the head, and the body -- in effect, six degrees of separation?

Just saying...
I'm nobody's pony.
(06-06-2018, 10:28 AM)Greg Wrote: I thought they already passed on the Tremors TV show with Bacon.

apparently not.  

but tell us of liman.
Yesssss, ssssspeak to usss of the one called liman...
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I worked for Mr. Liman on Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The more I think about it, the more I want to write a novel of just that film and it's madness.

Liman was the director. Rumor had it, he became a director because his father was a money man for the studios and demanded that he be given the job.

I was responsible for building the sets inside the furniture store where they have a big gunfight at the end. Pretty much everything I built, they filmed. Then they rebuilt and re-filmed it in a different location. 

I got to play onset carpenter when they filmed at the warehouse. I was installing a breakaway wall for them to drive a truck through. While I was doing this, the film company with Mr. LIman in charge were setting up to film this model home right next to us.

Liman always seemed distracted and out of it. Like he had wandered onto set and didn't really know quite what was going on.

so, We're setting up. The film company company is going through the lengthy process of setting up the lights, cameras, positioning for the actors, etc.. It was very complicated and I think they had taken an hour up to this point to set it up.

Liman spots us. He walks over. He asks us what we are doing. I tell him. Liman likes what he sees. He turns to the First Assistant Director and tells him they should shoot the set we are setting up.

What? Your minutes away from shooting in the other direction on a completely different set. You would destroy all the work that had gone into to setting up that shot. Only a crazy person would do that.

Next thing you know, they were lighting the break away wall and taking down the lights on the model home set.

I enjoyed that movie. I thought it was about the last good movie that Brad Pitt made.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Oh, the stories, I could tell. And have told.

I really enjoyed Pitt on the Jim Jeffries show. I wish they would bring him back.

Was this the house where you were told to remove a beam or wall that the director didn't want in the shot, which you reluctantly did, suspecting it was a support beam/wall, and you kept worrying everything would collapse on the set and actors during the shoot?

Or is this where you finished the house interior only to have the main actor step inside and say, "No, my character wouldn't live in a house like this," whereupon you had to rebuild everything to his satisfaction?

Or are these just artificial memories planted in my android brain?

And why do I have this sudden urge to break Harrison Ford's fingers?
I'm nobody's pony.
This was definitely #2. But it wasn't that house. That was a fake to demonstrate the furniture in the furniture store. The real house that his character wouldn't live in was over on a sound stage.

Now I want to see Mr. & Mrs. Smith again. 

The should redo that.  As an anime, set in ancient Japan.
I'm sure the world needs this. I'm just not sure what world.