Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville
(06-24-2009, 04:39 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: I was eager again for Sly & Robbie, but they didn't really move me - they need a good front person and they didn't quite have it.  

Shadow boxing the apocalypse
[Image: NewYearLetter_REG-Type.png]

Best news I've heard all year...
Are you on the crew?
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Quote:SNWMF is thrilled and honored to welcome Burning Spear to SNWMF 2023! 

This just got real for me.
The new SNWMF promoters have cut back the JAH med crew drastically. That is having profound effects upon our JediNiteKrew. We have to cut back applicants. It's bumming me out.
Two reggae DJs have promised me recordings of all the snwmf sets today. One says it’ll be on a hard drive, another on a usb. Strange coincidence. This must be floating about the dj circles right now and I’m honored that they both thought of me. Even if it doesn’t come to fruition, it’s an irie thought.

I’m getting pumped for snwmf. Just got to sort some last details.
That cord would be 39 years old at this point.

Still haven't found that cord. Bummed out about that.

Quote:World Music Festival returns to Boonville after long hiatus

June 11, 2023 at 5:50 a.m.By Kat Gleason

The widely revered Sierra Nevada World Music Festival returns to the Mendocino County Fairgrounds in Boonville next weekend, June 16-19.It’s been five long years since the last SNWMF, first put on hold due to the illness and subsequent death of beloved founder Warren Smith, and thwn the pause continued during the CoVid years.This will be the 26th rendition of SNWMF, which traditionally is a celebration of the founding artists of ska, rocksteady and reggae artists blended with an always unique sampling of world music artists, many of whom Warren Smith discovered on his own global explorations.Anyone who has been to this festival will tell you that although patrons come for the music, it is the culture of community and the beauty of gathering under the banner of “One Love” that brings people to attend from near and far on an annual basis.This event serves as a family reunion, an important time where like minded people can get together and share milestones. Not having it happen the past five years has been painful for many, making this year all the more sweet.Festival producer Gretchen Franz has dedicated this year’s Festival reunion to her husband Warren Smith. “It’s bittersweet,” said Franz. “Bitter because he won’t be physically present…sweet because SNWMF 2023 is for Warren. I think it’s the best tribute that we could pay him. And he would love it!“Warren conceived of SNWMF to showcase the many artists he knew in Jamaica whose music he believed we all needed to hear. He expanded that vision to music from across the globe.“Warren presented conscious music with a message of unity. He believed music transcends boundaries and shows that our similarities are much greater than our differences…“SNWMF has always been dedicated to ‘Nuturing a world family peacefully United in celebration of the universal spirit of music.’“To me, Franz continued, “the gathering of our generational community is testament that Warren achieved his vision. And now, we need this more than ever.”Franz described the beauty and magic of event at the Mendocino County Fairgrounds. “The natural beauty is just stunning! Nestled between the rolling hills of old growth, the Mendocino County Fairgrounds is just a beautiful spot to gather.“That and the community that gathers makes it magical; the artists, radio, press, personnel and patrons, and the positive vibes they all bring…the international food, the arts and crafts…“And the music is certainly part of the magic. This year alone Luciano, Burning Spear, Beres Hammond and Derrick Morgan are all performing, those are four Kings Of Reggae music.“Malian Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba are not to be missed. They just performed at the London Philharmonic and prior to that at the Kennedy Center in DC.”Other legends performing include Soul Syndicate, Johnny Clark, The Clarendonians and Norma Fraser. The younger generation is also represented with Protoje and the latest Reggae Grammy winning Kabaka Pyramid. The opportunity to see all of these acts in one venue is a rare opportunity in the world.Grammy Nominated singer “Jah Messenger” Luciano, who is headlining Friday night, was recently named one of the top 200 singers ever by Rolling Stone Magazine. In a recent interview on KTKE radio Luciano said “I’ve been to all the festivals all over the place…in all my years, SNWMF is definitely one of the outstanding festivals. You see the camping, the merchandise, the food, it is a community in motion.”When asked what drove him to creating music, Luciano said, “The people need the music, the energy…we believe that Love is the Universal Language, it has no boundary, no color. We believe in love for all people, one God, one Aim, one Destiny. We are all in this together…The music can heal the world.”SNWMF is a family friendly event with dedicated family camping and a kids village that includes a bouncy house, kids games and workshops, and roving entertainment that will delight kids big and small.Boonville received a friendly nickname of Boomville due to the famous late night Dancehall where music selectors and chanters join together to create a scene common in the streets of Jamaica.This year the sound in the Dancehall will be run by Willits based Royal Sound and Lighting, a now large stalwart of festival sound founded by friends who have been attending, creating and playing music at NorCal Festivals for decades. For those who like to continue dancing past the sound curfew, the silent dance hall will continue until nearly dawn.SNWMF is three day festival that offers on site camping, allowing people to fully immerse themselves into the experience for the entire weekend. For those who cannot commit to all three days, or who prefer to commute in, single day tickets are available both at local outlets including the  Mendocino County Fairgrounds office, Ukiah Natural Foods and Cloverdale Wellness and on the website http://www.SNWMF.com Anderson Valley residents qualify for a locals discount on both weekend and single day passes. The discount applies to those with photo I’d for tickets purchase at the Fairgrounds office.SNWMF is designed with two stages, the main one on the lawn with the bleachers and the more intimate Village stage in the Redwood Grove. In between the two stages there are multiple food booths featuring an array of international offerings. Vendors are sprinkled generously throughout the venue, offering a wide variety of clothing, handmade artifacts, jewelry, drums and plenty of other unique Global artifacts.James Snidow, a DJ on KLLG 97.9 of Willits, had such an amazing time at SNWMF in 2009 that he ended up moving to Mendocino County.“I moved up here from Southern California in 2010.  I fell in love with Mendocino when attending first SNWMF at Boonville in 2009 but my first SNWMF was in 1997. This is my 19th year of 26th years attending.“As a radio Reggae DJ I know Reggae has the power to bring people together and this festival does just that,” said Snidow.“We are celebrating Warren’s legacy and the musical gifts he brought us. Gretchen brought us light which had been dimmed by CoVid.  She gives us our favorite thing to rejoice again.   I’m most looking forward to seeing Johnny Clarke play, he’s an amazing performer.”“SNWMF as a team really loves Boonville,” said Franz. “We believe in what we are doing…This is a labor of love of some incredibly dedicated, gifted and hardworking folks who after five years picked up the mantle in January to present SNWMF 2023.“They have done an amazing job. I am so proud of Warren Smith for staying the course and remaining true to his values no matter how difficult the path. We hope you all come out to enjoy the weekend with us.”
Snidow is a friend. He's one of the aforementioned reggae DJs that says he has a usb for me. 

My lam melt was disastrous on several levels - one of the worst ever but at least it got done. I reached for something too lofty and blew it several times to get there. I don't take this as an omen anymore. 

Solved my first staffing issue - with the reduced crew numbers, I managed to get a dear friend, Dirty Hoel, his mom and his son placed on other crews. It took a little scheming between me and the 'florist' (a mutual grower friend who decorates backstage with portable plants) but it worked out. I solemnized Hoel's wedding at SNWMF like 18 years ago (I remember because his son, who was present in the womb, just graduated high school). It's also close to his mom's birthday. 

I'm so looking forward to this. Just gotta keep it together for a few more days, and then I can escape the default world once more...escape to Zion.
Didn't Hoel lose his house recently in a fire?

Yea, that was a long time ago. I had a few friends lose houses to fires. I imagine I'll have a few more as the climate continues to change...
Time moves swiftly.

The Queen wasn't out this morning working at brush clearance.

Doing that pre-fest tweak. Did I pack everything I need? I’m so checked out of work, and yet it keeps coming. 

I just gotta slog through 2 YMAA telemeets. Our boss likes to talk. Fortunately he usually says intelligent stuff but he does tend to drone on about business - just gotta keep my cool and actively listen. I had to reprogram all my spam because I was going to push digital content and our Vimeo crashed. 

Then there’s KFM follow up in TCEC - I just found out that the results weren’t posted anywhere (I delivered that the week after it happened). It made question the follow ups on several other TCEC related items. Forgot to ask about videos. 

And of course Den tossed me an offer I couldn’t refuse - a shot at Jackie for TMNT. 

Meanwhile, we got an offer on Macbeth Ranch. It’s a little less than our asking price but we’re putting in a counter offer and may close soon. 

But I’m so checked out of everything. I just want to get back to living in my reggae fantasy…

Zion train is coming our way…
Landed safely and securely (as long as you don’t count all the poison oak near our campsites. So much traffic and I had to pull over to fill out a contract on my iPhone for a counter offer on Macbeth ranch. Skipped the mandatory staff meeting with other psych to get dinner (meeting was 8 - all the restaurants close at 8:30). Then the first safety meeting. 4 fyne bottles. Then dm is introduced to a new e-nail rig, so smooth,quiet and dangerous. Great catching up with dirty HOel and an old partner in arms, Matt. The renegades are afoot. I need to sleep now… pace myself.
Best Father’s Day ever

Happy belated Father’s Day to my fellow D00M dads
You know the festival went great since DM was radio silent for three days.