Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Book Count 2023
The death by a thousands cuts wasn't enough for you, you cruel bastard?!
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
CD Lynch, buddy.

I did like the Brockle very much.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Gridlinked by Neal Asher

Another trilogy of books in the Polity Universe of Neal Asher. This might be Asher's first book in his Polity Universe of books because Gridlinked explains a lot of how the Polity universe works, something I had to pick up on the fly in the other trilogy.

Gridlinked is a spy novel where Ian Cormac starts by breaking up a terrorist ring on one planet and then having to go to another planet to fight a mysterious all powerful force named Dragon. Dragon is after another all powerful force as well. Meanwhile, one of the terrorist hunts Cormac for what he did. The book has a much tighter narrative with its underlying spy story but there is still plenty of high tech space opera going around. And I don't know if it's intentional or not, but this book and the other trilogy have a character named Thorn and I wonder if it is supposed to be the same guy.

In the end, the results are kind of vague. I never could tell why Cormac was so important to Dragon's plans. Lots of threads dangling around.

The Line of Polity by Neal Asher

The Agent Ian Cormac series continues. There is a Dragon follow up. The new bad guy is Skellor. The last third of the book is one giant battle sequence on the planet of Masada.

I'm liking these early books more than the later ones. Although, if I had read these first I might have gotten a better sense of the later books. At this point in the timeline, Masada is a slave planet run by a Theocracy that is outside the Polity. The planet is on the verge of revolution when Ian Cormac steps in, on the run from Skellor and trying to figure out what the planet sized entity Dragon is up to. 

It's all the familiar characters from the first book doing more terrible things. I liked it. I might have to break down and buy some books since the library doesn't carry the remaining three books in the series.

Dead Country by Max Gladstone

I am so happy that Gladstone is back in the world of the Craft, a type of magic that is more legal than mythic. I thought his las two books weren't very good, but he is back on target with Dead Country.

Tara is going back to her home town Edgemont to bury her father, a town she ran away from because they treated her so horribly. Bad things happen and she has to save the town that scorned her.

The writing is so good for this tale. It felt like a western, much like what Joe Abercrombie did with Red Country many years back. I loved the setting blended with the usual Craft shenanigans. I can't wait for the next books.

Just one damn thing After Another by Jodi Taylor

Well, that was a fun read and I can't wait to read more.  Just One damn thing is sort of time travel novel about a group of historians who travel back in time to get the real facts about historical events. But the book doesn't take itself too seriously. Has sort of a Parasol Protectorate tone although it's a modern book. Max is the lead in the book and she has a penchant for getting herself into and out of trouble. Taylor has a bunch of books in this series and she has a couple of additional series which spin off this one.

A Symphony of Echoes by Jodi Taylor

More shenanigans from the crew at St. Mary's. The main adventure here is a trip to Scotland to make sure Mary doesn't become Queen. Meanwhile the group of bad actors keeps trying to screw with the timeline. And they have to go forward in time to help with a future St. Mary's that is having trouble. All good fun.

Doing Time by Jodi Taylor

This is a new series a little later in time than the St. Mary's series but based on enforcing time laws rather than studying history. The book has the same glib fun tone as St. Mary's series. In this book, we follow three new recruits Luke, Janet, and Matthew as they learn how to become members of the Time Police. The recruits enter the Time Police force at a time of transition away from the just kill everyone Time Police to let us see if we can help people Time Police. There are factions on both sides of the divide and stuck in the middle are the new recruits who don't appear to be up to Time Police standards. 

More time travel. More screw ups. They focus on the Valley of the Kings and the Assassination of Julius Caesar in this one.

These books do call out events from the St. Mary's series but only slightly. And a few St. Mary's people show up.

Hard Time by Jodi Taylor

More amusement with the Time Police. This time they take on the scourge of illegal Time Travel tourism. More shenanigans.

I’m about to start the first in that series. Looking forward to it.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
The Queen is all in.

Dead Country just downloaded. Quality reading ahead!
Dead Country is best book I've read in a while.

(08-14-2023, 06:58 PM)Greg Wrote: Dead Country is best book I've read in a while.

Ooooooo!
A Little History of Dublin by Trevor White

1000 years of history in about 200 pages. Trevor White speeds through history to give an overview of Ireland's Capital. From the Celts and Vikings to today's burgeoning tech masters, it is all covered with brevity and wit. More coverage is given to the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, but every age gets a shot. It's kind of witty, as well. At one point, he refers to philosopher Homer Simpson never clarifying that it is the father from the Simpsons TV show.

The book did help me frame the important events of Dublin History and give a me a broad perspective of the history of the city. But it doesn't dive in deep. There is also a nice addendum to the book that talks about the famous writers from Dublin.

Trevor White founded and runs the Little Museum of Dublin and we me him on our most recent visit to the city.