Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unusual Covers
Guava jelly
Barbara Streisand

Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Monster Zero March - acapella!

--tg
I thought for sure someone would have already posted this, but I couldn't find it, so here it is:
the hands that guide me are invisible
(03-13-2024, 02:11 PM)King Bob Wrote: I thought for sure someone would have already posted this, but I couldn't find it, so here it is:

http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...5#pid62785

--tg
I couldn't find that. Too many posts with the word "heroes."
I think I like Austin Lounge Lizards cover better, but this is pretty good for a solo instrumental

--tg

Atarashii Gakko - ghostbusters

Didn’t know where to post this exactly because it looks like a genuine promo for the Japanese release. This was the J-pop band I fell in love with at SDCC.
All Star

Star Wars 

The Clash
Pressure Drop

We never talked about it back then, but I'm guessing you weren't into the Clash in the 80s.

They also did "Police and Thieves" and "Armagideon Time." I thought they wrote the latter but found out later it was a cover. Reggae was a big influence on them, and the UK punk scene in general. I think that's where the social/political commentary aspect of UK punk came from.

Paul Simenon, the Clash bassist, was particularly influenced by reggae, and said that he wanted to have a big bass sound like Leroy Hibbles of the Heptones.

I just stumbled across this cover of one of the reggae songs written by the Clash (Here's the original)

UK punk was never my sound but I do know of the reggae connection and respect the Clash - I just never put them together. Reggae influenced so many UK artists, the Beatles, the Police, Sinead…

Meanwhile back on topic

Bad Guy
Sayo Komoda

The Sound of Silence
Optimus Prime & Darth Vader

While My Guitar Gentle Weeps.

As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I am simultaneously fascinated/annnoyed with the Chapman Stick. I think it's a good alternative to the bass, adding some percussive-ness, but the arpeggiated melodies players come up with always sound like some metal head trying to cover "Eruption". There used to be a busker that played the stick in Ghiradelli Square back in the 80's. I have a couple of his cassettes, but it's a novelty, not something I can take out and listen to. There was a band in San Jose called "Stickband" in the 80's, (somehow associated with Guitar Showcase in Campbell as I recall?), that had a couple of stick players. I think they played jazz fusion. 

Tony Levin is the best player I've heard and If I had to pick, I think King Crimson's Satori in Tangiers is the best stick song ever..i

He's got a trio with his brother called "Stick Men", that tours from time to time, but I've never listened...

--tg

annoying...

--tg

When the levee breaks - John Paul Jones

--tg

(I don't know why the forum appends that to my last post...)
I think Levin played the stick when I saw Peter Gabriel, but I might be wrong.

The other San Jose band with the Stick was Dot 3, and that guy could really lay down a groove on it. They were great. Everybody would be dancing. If they had stayed together they could have done well as a touring band.