Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unusual Covers
One of my favs

I have so many fav Dylan songs. I do cherish Time Out of Mind - my fav Dylan album.

MYFML is a fav of many and there are so many covers, more so than most Dylan songs. It’s a gem.

Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Never cared for Adele and that didn't change my mind. A bit draggy IMO.

For Dylan, I don't think I've ever heard that album. I stopped keeping up sometime after Infidels and Oh Mercy. Check out Infidels out if you haven't - Sly & Robbie are the rhythm section. Plus "I And I" is a great song. When he did it with Petty at the Greek it was a stunner, better than the album version. I'd love to hear a bootleg of that.

Not sure of my favorite Dylan song. Sung by him or another? For his performances, my top five are Slow Train Coming, Girl from the North Country, Desolation Row, Tonight I'll be Staying Here with You, and (you may think a foolish choice) Everything is Broken. For a cover, the top is probably Hendrix doing Watchtower or the Byrd's Tambourine Man. And I've heard the Dead do great versions of a several. My favorite of those might be Masterpiece. The Neville Brothers did a great Ballad of Hollis Brown. And I've always liked this one by the Byrds

And Rolling Stone did a list of best Dylan Covers - check out the Heptones' take on I Shall be Released. Sadly they don't mention Garcia doing Tangled Up in Blue

And Outlaw Blues was a good one from Number Nine
the hands that guide me are invisible
(02-17-2024, 03:02 PM)King Bob Wrote: Never cared for Adele and that didn't change my mind. A bit draggy IMO.

Adele’s version is so popular, many credit the song to her. I saw Adele’s first Bay Area show http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=2316

As for Dylan, that’s a whole other discussion that I don’t have time for at the moment, but I’ll circle back later for it.
(02-17-2024, 03:02 PM)King Bob Wrote: And Outlaw Blues was a good one from Number Nine

I just remember playing Maggie's Farm and thinking "how many verses does this goddamn song have?!?" Same chord over and over, I'd lose my place cause my mind would wander...

--tg
At that point that was a good song for me because I could barely play
Rihanna

Is this love

Plenty of sitar and tabla for DM
It’s not unusual…arguably, he’s the most appropriate one to cover this song…

https://boingboing.net/2024/03/01/keith-...-reed.html

Quote:Keith Richard plays smoking cover of the Velvet Underground's "I'm Waiting for the Man"

David Pescovitz 
10:50 am Fri  Mar 1, 2024 
Tomorrow is the great Lou Reed's birthday and in celebration, Keith Richards posted his smoking cover of The Velvet Underground's "I'm Waiting for the Man," one of Reed's most memorable tunes. Video below.

I'm told that Keith's manager played it at a party hosted by Reed's widow Laurie Anderson on the anniversary of his passing. And also, Laurie had given Keith one of Lou's leather jackets to help him "get the spirit right." 

The track is included on The Power of the Heart: A Tribute to Lou Reed, a forthcoming compilation from Light in the Attic Records featuring fresh covers by the likes of the Afghan Whigs, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Rosanne Cash, Lucinda Williams, and Rufus Wainwright. 

"I'm feeling good, I'm feeling, oh, so fine / Until tomorrow, but that's just some other time."

—tg
Saw that.
Almost posted it too, but the vocals were too close (recalling KB’s criticism of Paramore earlier).
(03-02-2024, 11:49 AM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Saw that.
Almost posted it too, but the vocals were too close (recalling KB’s criticism of Paramore earlier).

The guitar is totally Keith, tho

--tg
True. That’s what redeems it.
Stayin’ alive
Springsteen 

Thought I posted this already, but apparently not

(03-03-2024, 04:53 PM)King Bob Wrote: Thought I posted this already, but apparently not

I really didn’t like it when he started singing…I thought his cover of Prince’s “Love Bizarre” was terrible. 

—tg
His voice was mediocre, and his songs with lyrics not that great, but I do like what he did with his guitar on Watchtower. I imagine singing made him more popular than he would have been just doing instrumentals.