Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RRR
I just rewatched this because my Rajamouli rabbinge hole has blurred what happens here. I'm glad I watched the others however, because now I get the two leads better. NTR, who plays Bheem, was in Yamadonga. Ram Charan, who plays Ram, was in Magadheera. 

I didn't put together the tiger thing from the intro of Bheem, to Bheem carrying the huge slabs of meat on the yoke, to the party raid. That ridiculous scene makes more sense now...well, not really, but there was an arc to it. 

There's astonishingly little dancing in RRR - just the ballistic Naacho Naacho scene and the end scene. There's music, including the aching public flogging song, but that wasn't quite dancing. The fight choreo is just ridiculous. Huge plot holes and logic flaws, but you just gotta roll with the spectacle. 

Now I really should write this article...
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Final thoughts: Motorcycle-Fu, Seetha can really cut a rug, and the English are Eeeeeeeeevil.

Truly, an epic film.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Um. I almost gave up after the bridge rescue. Then I thought I'd seen enough with the Dance off. I'd seen enough when they were having coffee.

One of the things that is throwing it off is that the movie is dubbed in English so you don't get the problem that Komaram only speaks Hindu while Jenny speaks English. I do have the subtitles on and the English Dub is often different than the subtitles. I need to find the button to get the movie in the original language. Is there also a muslim/hindu conflict going on? Is Raju Hindu while Komoram is muslim? It would just make their sudden friendship all that weirder.

I might go back. We'll see.

The British are so evil.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Mine played in the original language with English subtitles. I didn’t have a problem with the language difficulties — their expressions conveyed it, I thought. Komo is a “tribal” pretending to be Muslim. He is not the only one, I’m thinking.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Netflix doesn't have it in the original language, much to my dismay. It only provides the Hindi dub (and Spanish & English). The original language was Telugu. That's why it's naacho, but naatu in the original. 

The English dub messing up the language barrier is common in martial arts films. Case and point - Way of the Dragon. In the original, Bruce only speak Cantonese and doesn't understand the English (should be Italian) which is why he cracks his fist and gestures at the head villain after they smash up his office. 

Historically, both Ram & Bheem were tribals, but here, Bheem is tribal (Gond) undercover as a Muslim, and Ram is Hindu. However, historically, Ram & Bheem never met. Rajamouli is quick to say that this is total fiction and there's a disclaimer that ran theatrically that said as much. There's this whole interwebz theory that it's all a LGBTQ allusion, but that's absurd. 

I thought he was making a comment on white people, not just the Brits...

...kidding, kidding. I did ask him about that and he insisted it was just fiction again. He refrains from any commentary or agenda, at least, that's his stance.
I keep thinking we are advanced enough to show films in their original language or have dubs and be able to choose which way we want to see it, especially on Netflix.

The historical disclaimer came at the beginning of the Netflix version as well after what seemed like an hour of Production Company title cards.

(10-19-2022, 02:42 PM)Greg Wrote: The historical disclaimer came at the beginning of the Netflix version as well after what seemed like an hour of Production Company title cards.

Par for the course when it comes to Indian films. That's why they are like 3+hours long. That and all the gratuitous slo mo.

BTW, the end credits dance scene features Rajamouli, who I interviewed. He's the one not in costume. 

Having interviewed him was like interviewing Cameron right after Titanic hit. Only know one knows who he is unless they are Indian or follow Indian cinema. Then they go ballistic hearing I interviewed him.
Nice.

Do you think I'm going to get to the end dance sequence? Seriously?

At least get to the archery and motorcycle-as-thrown-weapon scenes...
Motocycle used in hand-to-hand combat is pretty sweet. The Brits are sooooo EVIL!

Took three viewings to make it through. Worth it, though.
Slogging through it. Enjoyed the birthday bash. Did not enjoy the flagellation sing-along. Made it to the escape from the hanging. DM is right. The Indians love their slow-mo. And their big floppy mustaches, hair blowing in the wind.

It's like they've carried our puritan ideal to it's conclusion with as much ultra-vi as you could want but no sexy time. Yes, i'm basing all my conclusions after watching part of one film.

Boy, those Brits are evil.

The mustaches are because it's Tollywood. Telugu is spoken in the southeast, where there are more Sikhs. 

I admire your sticktoitiveness here Greg. I'm sure the logic gaps are driving you nuts. But that cinematography, am I right?

RRR is just warm up for Baahubali...
I'm no Quitter. Yet.

The bad CGI hurts me. Nothing from the Cinematography really stands out to me at this point.

Yes. I finished it. Yes, I saw the silliness of the motorcycle as weapon as fight scene. Yes, I heard the final song. That kind of nationalism leaves me a little cold.

Were their muscles CGI as well? They looked remarkably slender during the dance sequences. Yes, my head hurts from watching this. I got really tired of the sun peaking out behind people's profiles. I was tired of it back when it was overused in the Eternals. I wish I could grow hair as fast not-Bheem did in that little hole in the ground. Sure did fire a lot of arrows from a quiver that looked like it held ten arrows.

I don't think I'm cut out for Indian cinema. Yes, I'm dead inside. Dead inside like the British.

G-Man back on brand. Everything is all right in the world.