Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mulan
My historical piece is more accurate. It just went live on Den of Geek, just a few minutes ago (I might not have noticed had you not posted this, KB, so thanks for that). See https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/mulan-r...se-legend/

Everyone cites the Ballad. No one digs into it beyond that. 

I need to find a Disney+ subscriber who gets this... Not sure that my ninjas will have the skills.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Just saw the email on your post, haven't read it yet.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Nice. Thanks for subscribing. Let me know what you think.

Den did edit out a paragraph. I get the edit - it was tangential. I fell in a research rabbit hole there. 

I'll share it here, just for fun.

Quote:As live action Disney princesses go, Mulan is the elder. Alice, another marginal Disney princess like Mulan because neither were quite crowned, was published in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland in 1865. Beauty and the Beast maybe a ‘tale as old as time’ but it was based on a fairy tale first published in 1740 by Gabrielle-Suzanne de Villeneuve. Sleeping Beauty, which became a Disney fractured fairy tale with the two live action Maleficent films, dates to 1330 in an anonymous collection titled Perceforest. Cinderella could be considered older than Mulan if traced to the ancient origins of her tale, a Greek legend of Rhodopis. That’s a story of a slave girl who married a king that finds her by her sandal which was magically delivered to him by an eagle. There’s a Chinese pauper-to-princess-via-sandal tale from 860.  Known as Ye Xian, her story adds an evil stepmom and a fairy spirit although it’s a magic fish, not a godmother. However, Cinderella isn’t specifically named until the 17th century Italian fairy tale collection Pentamerone (her name in Italian is Cenerentola). So Mulan predates Ye Xian, but not Rhodopis.
That rabbit hole was deep. Kudos.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I'm a sucker for rabbit holes. But you know that. 

It actually fell out of my Veronica Ngo research - her film Tam Cam (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=5569). The Cinderella myth goes way back and that notion really intrigued me. That made me wonder about other Disney Princess myths, especially since I've been researching Mulan so much. 

I respect the edit. For the previous piece, the one on Mulan's obstacles, Den's editor consulted me on it (she even gave me a final pass, mostly to get links for facts). Usually they just edit it, which I'm fine with. After cf and I did that for so many years, it would be hypocritical to be attached to my drafts. Besides, the Den editors are fierce - they really polish up my stuff. 

Ah, rabbit holes. I got to get back to my latest rabbit hole...The Karate Kid.  That's a rather deep one too. 

[Image: tenor.gif]
See notes on my current writing project. It's worse when the rabbit hole is yourself.

fair

Although I find the opposite to be so. When it's my own rabbit hole, I'm not as concerned about accuracy. It's less likely that I would get called out on my own memory, as deluded as it may be. Sometimes the delusions make better stories anyway. To recite my fav publishing quote ever "This is the West, sir. When legend becomes fact, print the legend."

When it's something like the history of Disney princesses, there are rabid fans that will call me out so I have to double/triple/quadruple check my sources. And when it's history, that gets tricky because the bulk of my research is web research nowadays. A lot of links come up dead. Things like the 'ScarJo will play Mulan' hoax have been scrubbed off the web. 

I suppose someone might call me out on my memories - I've noticed that things like concert memories (which I've preserved here on DOOM mostly) are particularly muddy. Last year, I was retelling the story of the lightning strike at the Vegas Dead show to some young Rock medics at Shoreline, and one of them whipped out his phone to fact check me. Fortunately, my facts were on point. Kids today and their damn phones.
To be accurate, it's a movie quote about publishing.

When the publishing quote is from the movies, print the movies. Or something.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
You are not a helper.

Truth.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
(09-03-2020, 10:40 AM)Greg Wrote: You are not a helper.

But oh so very DOOM.

I always hoped publishing would be like it is in the movies. Nothing could be farther from the legend.
Sword fight in the first 5 mins. Male & female rabbit nod. Matchmaker soundtrack echoes the animated film. And I’m so watching this on the big screen as soon as I can.
The avalanche wasn’t as good as Haggis Killer’s. DOOM rules.

Nevertheless it’s very cinematic.

Hp1 fawkes.

That was alright, but very short sheeted on the small screen. I felt the animated version follows through better after the avalanche. That's where this version departs significantly. It ends in a scaffold fight, and I do enjoy scaffold fights. It has many points of preposterousness. Donnie kills it. Gong Li was a better witch in Monkey King 3. Jet is okay for what he does, but anyone could've done that. Tzi Ma was fatherly as always. And Crystal, she was okay. I still don't think she would've fooled anyone into thinking she was male. But there you have it. 

The choreo is a lot of decent wire work - nothing that new. The costumes, sets and settings are gorgeous. 

DOOM recommended.
A few more thoughts. I liked Yao, played by Chen Tang, who has caught my eye as the gay gangster in Warrior. There was some interesting LGBTQ subtext. I never picked up on that in the original animated film but apparently Li Shang is hailed as a bi character because he's clearly vibing on Ping when Mulan is cross-dressing. In this version, there's a new character Honghui who takes over as the 'romantic' lead, vibing on Mulan when she's Hua Jun. And there's this dynamic between Gong Li's witch and Mulan that had my gaydar tingling. 

Now, I have no problems with LGBTQ after working on Folsom and living with the Yeti, but it kinda bugs me that there's so much of it in Chinese Hollywood - I mean there's Takei (who I luv - one of my role models from childhood), there's M. Butterfly, now there's this? There's a lot in Warrior too, but Warrior is Skinemax, so there's a lot of shagging regardless of gender. Okay, end of rant. 

Tara watched this last night too. We had fun texting each other about it and nerding out until 1AM this morn.