Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unusual Covers

Grace Jones - Little Drummer Boy 
On Pee Wee’s playhouse!
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I kinda dig marching band arrangements, mostly for the drumming.

Green Day - Basket Case by the Utah Marching Band at the Rose Bowl.
Let's dance 

--tg
Ha! I was going to post that too. Still not sure if it worked for me but it’s so Miley & so Byrne…Aw
Yeah, I didn't particularly like it either...but it was an unusual pairing...

--tg
As a cover, this isn't unusual except for the pairing. It totally follows the original, keeping the clunky groove. (Fairly common in those days.) I've always thought this song could be improved by changing the groove. A rocksteady groove would fit (and I would love a segue into Soul Shakedown Party). Something else might even be better.

And I can't stand her. She has a strong voice, sure, but the sound is all over the place. And her personality annoys me. (I always fast forward past her in A Very Murray Christmas.)

Sorry Greg, I'm stepping on your naysaying toes here. But you're probably busy with cats anyway.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Come on, KB. Find your own lane.

Never like Miley Cyrus's voice and don't understand her popularity.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Hannah Montana was part of Tara's childhood, so I've watched Miley's whole public arc play out from the beginning. Just like Ariana Grande. Watching this gen of kid show ingenues morph into pop stars is fascinating and I'm surprise more don't die. Miley started too country for me, but I do like her voice (ya know I have a soft spot for husky voiced women). She's weathered drug addiction and alcoholism, and when I saw her at BottleRock in '21, I found her to be surprisingly entertaining - http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...5#pid49915. I think both her and Billie Eilish (at LiB) were the two that really caught me off guard. I went into both performances not expecting much but found them both to have a tremendous stage presence in live performance. 

But ya know, I love my pop divas. T-swizzle is coming to Levis again this year and I can't wait. I still gotta see Ariana...
I don't get Billie Eilish either. Her voice is pretty good but she won't enunciate enough for me to understand the words. I checked out her last album and to me it just sounded like demos.

I've always been fond of Pink (and we share a birthday). And I do like some stuff by Charli XCX and Dua Lipa. And FKA Twigs is sort of like a pop diva crossed with Bjork.
I think Miley, at least, has a bit of a sense of humor about herself. She played a version of herself in a Black Mirror episode...it was a decent episode...

--tg
I confess I've been getting into Sia lately.
I started looking for another cover of the Bowie song, and found this:

Careful now. I am armed with barrels of Miley covers and I’m not afraid to use them. I can dominate this thread with them. Don’t make me. Do not even make me.

Sweet Jane
This is kinda nice. \m/

--tg
Coming out of break part ("Let's exchange the experience") doesn't quite work for me, but good on the whole, and I like the sax player leaning in: