Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Villainess
I've been gorging myself with a tasty smorgasbord of ultravi lately. There was Wolf Warrior 2, Atomic Blonde, John Wick 2, and now this. The Villainess takes ultravi to a whole new level. Mindblowing cinematography. I still can't quite fathom how they got some of those shots. There's a lot of first person perspective like a shooter game or Hardcore Henry (which is in my queue). And it's very wet - if it wasn't raining, it was a shower of sanguinosity. Arterial sprays galore, so many I lost count. The pitter patter of rain or the gurgle spurt of blood.

Cf and I saw this together and unfortunately our version had the subtitles cut off. We were warned at the box office but went for it anyway. As it turns out, it's a rather convoluted tale - very Korean - with a lot of flashbacks and a face operation that allows the main protagonist to be played by two women. I kept track of where they were in time by the facial cuts. There's really intense action for the first third of the film, then a catch-your-breath romance that has an obvious set up course for the finale, then the finale, which yes, begins with a sword fight, and then goes all sorts of brutally violent places. There's a lot of wakizashis, hatchets and sledgehammers. And guns, lots of guns. 

Both cf and I said we were looking forward to each other's DOOM reviews, and I'm not sure I'm done with mine yet. This is distributed by Well Go USA, so it'll probably come to Netflix in a few months, and I'll have to watch it for the subs, and also to break down those glorious action sequences again. In the end, I really wasn't sure why everyone was killing each other, but it didn't really matter because the ultravi overpowers everything else. But still, the plot seemed intricate enough without the subs, so perhaps the story makes it even more engaging. I was pretty glued throughout, but y'all know my luv of complex choreography. The action scenes here are awesome and astounding. They break some novel ground here and there's nothing like fresh new ultravi. It's what I go to movies for.

Oh, and that motorcycle chase scene in the tunnel that I posted in the coming soon thread is even better on the big screen. Whenever the action gets rolling in this film, hold on for a wild ride. Top DOOM honors for the fights and chases alone. 

And I haven't even got to the assassin school for ladies. So weird and so cool.

Alright cf - that's my start. Over to you.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse

Messages In This Thread
The Villainess - by Drunk Monk - 09-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Rice - by Drunk Monk - 09-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Sanguine - by Drunk Monk - 09-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Saw it again with subtitles - by cranefly - 01-18-2018, 01:11 PM
RE: The Villainess - by Drunk Monk - 01-18-2018, 03:14 PM
RE: The Villainess - by Dr. Ivor Yeti - 02-18-2018, 12:22 AM
RE: The Villainess - by Drunk Monk - 03-06-2023, 10:59 PM
RE: The Villainess - by Dr. Ivor Yeti - 03-06-2023, 11:03 PM
RE: The Villainess - by Drunk Monk - 03-06-2023, 11:29 PM