The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1640 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1640 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 915 buildtree

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miike News
Ok, I was trippin on the moment when, at the last DOOM gathering, our conversation turned to Miike again, and I brought this up again, out of reflex, and CF looked at me like 'you keep talkin' 'bout this, when you gonna see it?'

Seen.

It's a lot like Zebraman on steriods. Terry Gilliam-esque CGI terminators versus Japanese ghost story fable characters (suited monsters ala Ultraman). Cheesy effects overall. Predictable to a point. I was raised with some of these myths so, like Painted Skin, many of the creatures are recognizable to me, which made it very nostalgic. It had some Miike moments for sure, but very tame, a kid film like Zebraman, but a little intense because some of the Japanese demons are disturbing if you aren't familiar with them. The kappa (precursor to Mutant Turtles if you will) was funny. I'm not sure if it's over-the-top enough for DOOM. It's really only 'out there' because the mythology is unfamiliar. I could have been far creepier, but it tends to go for goofy demon humor like the umbrella demon (a rather lame puppet) saying 'I'm just an umbrella'. Zebraman was stronger overall.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse

Messages In This Thread