The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1640 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1640 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 915 buildtree

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beijing Wushu Team
Beijing Wushu Team @ Flint Center 11/20/5

The first time I saw the BWT must have been around the early 80's. Since then, I've dragged a few of you to see them - in fact, I remember a fine adventure in S.Cal where DOOM crossed paths with the BWT. Last night's show was $50 to get in, but I had comps, of course, for me, Tara and my parents. The house was 2/3rds empty at that price.

Wushu has undergone a lot of evolution with its failed push to become an Olympic event. They are doing some crazy moves now, just crazy. The thing is that they are so freakin' fast that most people can't see it, can't tell the difference. The show was uneven - it opened with a local group, Ernie Reyes, now pushing 60, who all beat on taiko drums and did lots of flips in klingon costumes, plus this weird rifle guard routine with shinai - totally disrrespectful to the weapon - kendo players have very strict rules about how to handle a shinai so it was a huge wtf? to any traditionalist. But the audience seemed amused. Tara liked that they did their own music and had kids performing.

The BWT themselves were amazing as always, but too few sparring sets, which are my personal favorites. Also it was pretty standard stuff - no sledgehammers, no rope dart even - just swords, staff, spear, pudao. There was the old routing of girls beat up boys, which was amusing but not spectacular. All in all, it was somewhat disappointing, but some of the new jump flips are just crazy. My folks liked it. Tara liked it. My boss and I were a bit disappointed. Now I have to write a review, which is a lot better than dropping $50 for each ticket...
Shadow boxing the apocalypse

Messages In This Thread