The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1640 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1640 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 915 buildtree

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson
I thought this book was very good, but not without its failings. I'm not going to summarize the plot because I imagine all of you who wanted to read it already have.

On the plus side, his future society was well thought out, and the use of folklore was clever and well done, particularly earlier in the book. The story moved along nicely for the most part. And the idea of a "magic" book resonates with anyone who was a big reader in childhood. And his idea of "phyles" was a thoughtful extension of William Gibson's corporations/zaibatsus.

BUT-
I thought he got carried away with his descriptions of technology. I found myself skimming over needlessly long passages that could easily have been edited out. Fortunately most of this occurs early on, so it isn't a constant problem.

And It seemed like he deliberately stopped the book short so he could come back later with a sequel. It seems like he's building up to some big social change / technological breakthrough which just doesn't happen. Numerous threads of the story are just left hanging. Certainly he does give one conclusion, but even that seems a bit weak.

Also some side plots just don't really go anywhere. I think you could edit out 50-100 pages, maybe more, with no real loss.
the hands that guide me are invisible

Messages In This Thread