The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1640 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1640 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 915 buildtree

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HBD DM
Thanks brothers.

It was a lovely day. I took the day off as did Stacy.  We got breakfast at 11th hour.  Good coffee & avocado toast, plus salmon because it was my birthday.

Stacy and I went up to the Asian Art to see Awaken - a Tibetan Buddhist exhibit that was inspiring, although half of it was from the permanent collection, which I know very well already, and stumbled upon Chang Dai-Chien's painting exhibit, which was stunning.  We got free tix because when you sign up for the Santa Cruz library, you get a lot of free museum passes, but it was stressful because all the parking lots were closed so there was about a half hour of sf parking quest.

Then we walked up Market to Chinatown, which is a ghost town now. Covid-19 has chased all the tourists away.  Shops are shuttered.  I've never seen it so empty.  We got lunch at House of Nanking which was about a third full, when typically there's a line at lunch time.  I fear for the fate of Chinatown.

After that, we made it for the Walt Disney Family Museum - first time either of us visited and it was wonderful.  What a saga Walt's life was.  Again inspiring.  Some really cool original art and Stacy bought me Disney & Dali, the 2015 exhibit book that I'm now kicking myself for missing.  We were there at closing and the cafe gave me a leftover gluten-free carrot & pineapple muffin, which was tasty.

We drove back, stopping at Ocean Beach for the sunset.  Had dinner at Pacific Thai on the mall and bumped into one of Tara's old classmates from Penn elementary.  We knew she was at UCSC but this was the first time we crossed paths.  She was with her cute bf and has grown into a lovely woman.  

My family gave me a surface pro.  I'm charging it now, sipping some Teeling's, and thinking about catching up on all the hbd wishes I got over the day.  

Much better than last year.  

(02-28-2020, 06:14 AM)Greg Wrote: Have a great day before the covid-19 strikes you!
Too late. It's already struck hard.  My company is on the front lines.  

We get almost all our merch from PRC (some from Vietnam now too).  It's been catastrophic.  All of PRC shuts down for Chinese New Year, so we order ahead to buffer against their downtime like every company that imports from PRC.  But our container was detained due to the high alert.  This delayed our subscription fulfillment, and this issue had a premium, so that really hurt.  Fortunately, our subscribers have been very understanding, but I've been fielding complaints, well queries really, all week.  And now the factories aren't starting up.  The real impact is hitting now.  This is on top of the trade war inflation.  It's bad.  Very very bad.  Not bankruptcy bad, but some serious loin girding bad.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse

Messages In This Thread