The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1640 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1640 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 915 buildtree

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville
NST & the Soul Sauce - Korean reggae. I was front of stage.  It was gloriously hot and I was ready.  The band was cool - I could hear the Asian influence and they had great guitarist, plus an electric violin.  It was soft jazz reggae.  I tried to hold out for a dancer they had who was dressed in traditional Korean attire, but I got distracted and wandered off.  Or maybe I got hungry.  

Macka B - an old UK fav because he raps about his veganism.  He's still quick and does the ol' Pato Banton schtick of out-rappin his drummer.  Very righteous lyrics.  He also has a song about arugula, about mangos and about cucumbers (or as they say in patois 'koo-kum-BAH).  Very funny, entertaining and upright.  Still got it.

DJ Spleece, my friend from the Cruz, spun at the main stage between the killa Bs.  It was amusing to check in with him.

Anthony B - when we were in JA, his song Fire Pon Rome was banned (funny - didn't think of Greg's Rome trip and this until just now). It was banned for political criticism. Consequently, they played it everywhere - very rogue.  The selectors would look around for cops, drop it at max volume, everyone would go nuts, and then, when it was over, everyone acted like nothing happened.  I never saw rebel music like that before and it forever endeared me to that song.  He delivered a solid set.  Still got it.

Talking Dreads - my fav act of all.  Thanks for the heads up on dis 'ere scorcha, tg.  Loved them.  The lead singer is from the Tom Tom Club and their reggae reinterpretations were spot on - old skool riddems and ska.  Still Waiting - a classic cocaine song - morphed into a perfect pot song.  And they did Janis' Take a Little Piece of my Heart, and the Dead's Shakedown Street.  I will buy their CD when it's ready.  Would've bought it right then and there, which I only do when a band really gets me moving.  Next time they come through the Cruz, I'm there.  

Keith & Tex - two old skool crooners doing rock steady and ska with style and panache.  Still got it.

Capleton - only caught a bit of his set but that was satisfying.  Still got it.  

Lee 'Scratch' Perry inna dancehall - very stony, too stony actually for the late night.  I had to step out because it was making me sleepy.  But he's still got it too.

It was a great day of reggae, much more enjoyable than I was expecting.  It renewed my faith in Rasta by delivering some ecstatic moments, which is all I'm there for anyway really.  Haven't had that in a while, at least not like that.  It was just what I needed because I was souring on the scene.  I'm still reluctant to do much this summer as it's my last with Tara, but at least it delivered.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse

Messages In This Thread