Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unusual Covers
Exterminez-vous!

--tv
Chipmunks at 16 FtMFW!

Shadow boxing the apocalypse

The instrument is an 8 string tenor (like a 12 sting guitar) but with all the doubles except the lowest removed. Her latest Instagram post is a short mashup of "Pure Imagination" and "Close to You" (@taimanegardner).
the hands that guide me are invisible
In straight up WTF news Sammy Hagar and Bob Weir and Ronnie Dunn.......Good news they aren't full clips.

As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Weir and Hagar have a longstanding history sitting in with each other. Weir sits in with a lot of bands. That's a total dead thang...

Since we're talking bout Weir. The Dead were essentially a psychedelized cover band, so their 'unusual covers' is a deep dark rabbit hole...
Almost all their covers were great, especially the Dylan tunes.
Truth

But Bobby sucks now. He’s more off key than ever. I had a great time when I saw him last year and thought he was really on, but then I went back to listen to the recording and it sounded weak. I wish I could blame it on the drugs but no. Rm is drug free now. 

It’s so ironic. Rm was so drug soaked when I started. We had all sorts of elaborate radio codes for sneaking a puff. Now that cannabis is legal, no one gets stoned at Rm anymore. I can’t even remember the last time a shared a spliff with another Rm vol. It’s been years.
Jerry was the better singer of the two of them. I thought they should have switched to lower keys on some songs so that Bobby could hit the high notes better.

Some of the RM folk might be eating instead.
Brent really filled out the band's vocals. There was that short stint when Joan Osbourne sat in with the Dead (the post-Jerry ungrateful version) where the singing was on point, but in general, they were pitch singers, not really vocalists. I have this notion that they sang badly to get us deadheads to all sing along (badly).

(03-14-2022, 05:51 AM)King Bob Wrote: Some of the RM folk might be eating instead.

Only one that I know of is... ;-) 

I've got decent reeferdar. Most barely seem to know anything about drugs nowadays, except for how to deal with Molly because there's just so much of that in the EDM circles. Rm protocols lean more to rack&roll for IPRs nowadays, although we will try to cool them off onsite if they're overheating.
Vince could sing pretty well too. I think years of smoking took its toll on their voices as well. If you listen to their first studio album, or Live Dead, or Europe '72, the singing is pretty good.

There was also always a very casual aspect to their performance. I remember thinking at my first show that it was more like watching some guys jamming on the back porch than watching a concert.
Yeah, they blew their voices out for sure. I remember an interview where Phil copped to that. He insisted it wasn't nodes. It was age. But then, he was the least talented singer of all of them. 

It was all about those casual jams. Unless you're Greg and think "the jams are too long".
Life is too short for that nonsense.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Some jams were certainly less inspired than others, but that's where they cut loose and really played.
Someday you should check out Hot Tuna. 

At 3am, their never-ending jams make the Dead sound like 2 min pop songs...