Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movie Trailers
Deliver Us from Evil (2020)

Might be here already, but didn't find with a search.
I'm nobody's pony.
Faith - a new doc on a martial arts cult

Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Okay. That told me nothing. And I didn't see a lot of martial arts.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(12-04-2020, 11:03 AM)Greg Wrote: Okay. That told me nothing. And I didn't see a lot of martial arts.

What is it with you? Either the trailers show too much of the film or too little. 

Quote:Faith review – knockout doc on a sinister Catholic kung-fu cult

Valentina Pedicini’s extraordinary film begins like a quirky chronicle before painting a portrait of power and abuse
[Image: 977.jpg?width=445&quality=85&auto=format...017ea4a7ca]
Warrior monks ... Faith.

Cath Clarke
Wed 2 Dec 2020 09.00 EST

[/url]

This documentary will be the last film we see from the Italian director [url=https://variety.com/2020/film/news/dies-dead-valentina-pedicini-1234836565/]Valentina Pedicini
 who died last month tragically young – aged 42 – from liver cancer. And what an extraordinary film it is, opening with an intoxicating rave scene: a room full of lithe muscular men and women dressed all in white, some with shaved heads, dancing furiously to German techno. They are monks, disciples of the Master: the oldest man in the room, a martial arts expert who 20 years ago opened a monastery in the Italian hills where he trains “warrior monks” in Catholicism and kung fu. He is the god of his little universe.
At the start, Faith could be a quirky tale about a bunch of wacky eccentrics as it follows the monks’ daily routines and rituals: combat training, prayer, boxing lessons for teeny toddlers, a monastery meeting to discuss expelling a monk. The film is gorgeously cinematic, shot by DOP Bastian Esser in textured black and white – it looks like a Rossellini. The strictly observational, no-interview style can be a little frustrating and it doesn’t help that the monks have a roundabout, indirect way of expressing themselves. But there’s no mistaking the increasingly sinister mood.
The picture that emerges of is of emotional abuse and control. The Master dominates his acolytes, particularly the women, who are woken up in the middle of the night and summoned to his bedroom for creepy group therapy sessions – five or six at a time gathered around his bed. His workout sessions with them are power trips. His goal seems to be submission, body and soul. He pushes them until they are broken – to fuel his narcissism and ego, I’d say. It’s deeply uncomfortable film but also weirdly gripping. Now I’d like the long read version: who is the Master, and what are the stories of the monks that brought them to this way of life?
• Faith is released on 2 December on Mubi.

I'm intrigued by this doc and hope to see it.
What I learned from that FAITH trailer is that I am reasonably seizure-resistant.

Intrigued.  Will look for it.
I'm nobody's pony.
(12-01-2020, 07:34 PM)cranefly Wrote: Deliver Us from Evil (2020)

Might be here already, but didn't find with a search.

This looks promisingly sanguineous.
Shadow in the Cloud (2021) by Roseanne Liang
I'm nobody's pony.
That looks even more ridiculous than The A Team
the hands that guide me are invisible
Sure, sure. Bob Odenkirk, action hero.

As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Counter Attack aka Counterstrike

(12-10-2020, 10:08 AM)Greg Wrote: Sure, sure. Bob Odenkirk, action hero.

John Wick him, I’ll watch ‘em.

In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
(12-15-2020, 08:42 PM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 10:08 AM)Greg Wrote: Sure, sure. Bob Odenkirk, action hero.

John Wick him, I’ll watch ‘em.

Bob who? All I saw was the name David Leitch 
Comedy writer, actor, getting bigger/better gigs. He is Saul in Better Call Saul
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
(12-15-2020, 11:18 PM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: Better Call Saul

Never watched it. Any good?
A lot of award noms. I never watched Breaking Bad, and this is a spin-off of that. BB had no likable characters, so I lost interest very quickly.