Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DM's quest for work
That wasn't Studio Santa Cruz? I also did like your props behind you. I don't know what the mannequins were, but they added depth.

Come up to the Lair for the third installment. I've got a workbench you can use. Bring your own vice, which I'm sure you are replete with.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Those mannequins are Stacy's Indonesian puppet collection (one of which I secured for her in Hong Kong when I was there with the CFs), plus my treasured Jinnaluo statue which I acquired at Shaolin, and in the bookcase (which is Stacy's too) was my treasured Lord Guan statue which I acquired at Guanlinsi where his head is buried (also possibly when travelling with the CFs - I've been a couple times but I think it was that fateful car crash trip). Prior to the media conversion of the North Chamber, this room was Stacy's she cave. 

If you remember Master Grace Wu, she and I got in a long texting session last night where she was congratulating me. She said she got out her magnifying glass to try and read the titles on Stacy's bookshelf. 

I should also give props to the CFs for arranging the gifting of my final sword - that jian with the hidden dao. I received a few comments from people that were fascinated by that.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I, too, liked the Jian with the hidden dao.

(06-14-2020, 11:13 AM)Greg Wrote: Come up to the Lair for the third installment. I've got a workbench you can use. Bring your own vice, which I'm sure you are replete with.

This is actually quite tempting. I was also considering doing it at our Kung Fu Academy. Or maybe just rearrange the furniture in the North Chamber. I have one of those portable folding workbenches and my small vice is attached to a plank that I can fit into that workbench. Hopefully neither have warped in the sea air too much so that they still work.

(06-14-2020, 11:38 AM)Greg Wrote: I, too, liked the Jian with the hidden dao.

Cool. That was my concluding device. It's such a cool piece. I've never seen another quite like it.
It would make for a cool but in a movie, the sudden reveal of a hidden sword.

When is someone going to make the Grace Wu movie? Or Lily Lau?

(06-14-2020, 02:31 PM)Greg Wrote: When is someone going to make the Grace Wu movie? Or Lily Lau?

Funny you should ask. I've always thought both masters are ripe for something like that. There was a point when I was toying with working on a book with Grace. She's got the most amazing stories, growing up and meeting all the legendary masters of the prior generation.  We're very close. I'm probably the closest to Grace of anyone in the Wulin. However, I worked with her on one article and it was a freakin nightmare. She's married to a high-end lawyer and super controlling when it comes to anything written. When we did that article, she was calling me daily, micromanaging every step. There's some great video of her as a child training with her family (her lineage is exemplary) but I couldn't find it.

I've known Lily forever too. She's amazing, also great lineage, but not as well spoken unless you can do Canto or Mandarin. She has a global following so there's a lot of cooks in the kitchen. I've done a few articles with her over the years, but nothing lately. She's always been gracious to me. She's even invited me to private closed door ceremonies and such. She starred in some very old movies, ones with Kwan Tak Hing playing Wong Fei Hung. I've seen some clips and photos (she was stunning in her youth) but couldn't find those either. 

Both ladies would be huge topics to document. Maybe when you get over your crotch fixation...
If seems like their could be the women of the martial arts movie with Helen and Mimi, too.

Helen’s bout with cancer is extraordinary but it gets supernatural if you dig at it and she doesn’t like to talk about that part publicly. Mimi really only has Mulan and her podcast. Both of them are younger than Grace or Lily so they haven’t had as much time on task.

So are your getting over the crotch then? Looking towards Kung Fu queens?
Oooh, Kung Fu Queens!. Although, I was kind of leaning towards 'The Heirs'

I'll never get passed my iron crotch.

Looking for good stories. I've heard a few tales of Grace and Lily but not extensively. But they seem to be outliers, something different. Do you know of any movies made about the women of the martial arts? I think it can be a story to explore.

There are several indie docs on women in martial arts. Some books too. Nothing outstanding however. Many will focus on a particular woman’s journey. I think I’ve reviewed at least one here but I can’t remember the title ... shoot. It was about a middle eastern champion coping with sexism in her culture. Damn what was that called? It was engaging.
Got a green light to pursue three different pieces for Den of Geek. Now I gotta jump on that.
Excellent.

And the Immortal Kickstarter is live. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/161.../the-adept

Already at $4K+ and it's only been 2 hours. Goal is $10K in 30 days.

And y'all will love this:
[Image: ching.png]
Sweet.