Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muay Thai Giant
This one is from Baa Ram Ewe, to it's credit.

It's about a 7-foot tall farang (tourist) who gets ripped off in Pattaya (the nastiest city in Thailand - been there, done that, and still feel a little like the back of an NYC taxicab for having done so - it's the capital of sex trade in Thailand). Anyway, the farang can't fight (he's actually a big-time wrassler). He's just a big pussycat which he plays unconvincingly because he's so friggin' huge (he almost reminded me of ppfy, and if he did, I would have loved this film - ppfy in pattaya!). He gets involved with some girls, one of whom is the real Muay Thai champ. The twist? When the farang eats som tum (a spicy papaya salad) he turns into a red hulk and smashes everything. Then they get caught up with jewel thieves, who just happen to also be big time wrasslers and hilarity ensues.

The fights? Good! There's a random cop who looks like Tony Jaa's younger brother who delivers. There's also the little girl Muay Thai champ, who is very good, and convincing beats the snot out of an adult Muay Thai villain. And the pro-wrasslin finale is amusing. There's also a random papaya-fu hottie fight scene, which has nothing to do with anything at all, as she never reappears in the film, but it's a highlight. This would have been great if it just had more fights like that.

So it's a near miss. Could have been great. Could have been better than Hangover 2. This is the first Baa Ram Ewe that struck me as such a near miss, unworthy of a DOOM showing.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse