Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lisey's Story by Stephen King
If work is a like trudging through the mud and you need some nice, light, escapist fare.... don't read this.

Oy.

Stephen King's idea of a "romance" novel is masturbating with words. I can watch him getting off, but doesn't do much for me. You ever walk through a doorway that has a beaded curtain for a door? Reading this book is like walking through a seemingly endless set of beaded-curtain covered doorways. By the time you finally get into a room, you're just as happy to leave. If you manage to hack through the various terms he's invented to describe the main characters' issues, you eventually realize that what he's really got is a short story about a woman cleaning out her dead writer husband's office. He colors it with various tales of her colorfully abusive childhood and the dead husband's even more abusive childhood and how she wins through the experience of getting rid of his stuff and feeling good about it in the end. And yes, there's supposedly a monster or two involved and an alternate plane of existence, and you learn that apparently there's a difference between "good" capable of loving lunatics and evil "bad-gunky" lunatics.

Yeah. Whatever.

I said before, right around Gerald's Game, that I thought I was done with King now. After reading Lisey's Story, I think I should have stuck to that.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.