Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams
If you're a fan of the five-and-a-half-book Hitchhikers Guide trilogy, Dirk Gently and/or just the absurd, you will probably enjoy "Last Chance to See." Back in the early 80s, someone at the BBC had the brilliant idea of putting Douglas Adams together with a zoologist and sending them around the world to go find the last examples of certain species of animals. Doug's task was to be surprised by what he saw in their travels and describe the encounters with the animals. He was very good at both. The descriptions of the various problems they encounter in trying to get to the places where the nearly extinct animals MIGHT be found, is laugh out loud hysterical.

This is one of those books that I think I've bought about a dozen times. I read it again and then enjoy the experience so much that I wind up giving it to someone that I think will enjoy it too, and then have to go out and find another copy for myself the next time I want to revisit it. I think I'm going to try and hold on to this latest copy for awhile.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
I enjoyed a few of the Hitchhiker books, although I read them so long ago, I can't remember how far I got in the series. Not far, probably. LCTS is a book I've always thought I'd enjoy. Of course, I still haven't even got to those Alias DVDs you sent. Alias doesn't work on DVD. Without commercial breaks and weekly episodes, the pacing of the cliffhangers collaspses, and that was the crux of the show. I imagine Lost and Heroes will suffer from the same effect on DVD for me.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Greg thinks his copy is in the "garage" -- if the rats haven't eaten it, we'll be happy to send it to you.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.