Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fargo: The TV Show on FX (2020)
We are up to season 4. I can't find reviews I've done of earlier seasons. But the shows are well done but kind of hit or miss. For instance, after watching one or two episodes of Season 3 which starred Ewan McGregor in twin roles, I grew bored.

But the thought of Chris Rock as a gangster in 1950s Kansas City, MO intrigued me. Sadly, he is the weakest part of a so far strong addition to this chapter. The first episode was very strong. Lots of good visuals. With narration by a teenage African-American girl. Although what she is describing has nothing to do with the visuals on screen. The whole movie centers around the fight for control of he underworld in Kansas City. First it's the Jews vs. the Irish. Then the Irish vs. The Italians. Finally The Italians vs. The African-Americans. It's all well done. There are a lot of characters to introduce and the film makers do it well.

Despite the tension between the gangs, there is lots of rivalries in the family as well as older son vies with younger son for power. Lots of tension. Lots of good acting.

And there is the nurse floating around it all who is crazy.

Two episodes in so far. We will watch more.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

It continues to be good if longwinded. The crazy elder brother of Jason Schwarztman continues to be the most much watch thing on the screen. His bug eyes are riveting.

Much like I just said in The Undoing, Fargo continues to move at it's leisurely pace. Although there was a nice big shoot out in the train station, which I think is the exact same train station where The Untouchables did their shoot-out in a train station back in the day. Everything is really well done and I can't wait to see how they tie everything together.

Fun Fact: The based on a true story header they start off each show with is total bullshit. I wanted to see the facts of the story that was being told this year and came across the truth behind the header. The show creator Noah Hawley just likes it.

I thoight that boiler plate might be BS. I just started season 4 (have it seen the previous seasons) recently on Hulu. My subscription level has commercials so it broken up, but still seems to work ok. Each episode has wildcard characters and the gangsters are the solid, dependable types as they have rules to follow. You know something really bad is ultimately going to happen (from the warning on each episode) but you wonder which of these crazy folk is going to tip the balance. 

The cinematography has been great, the split screen effect is used judiciously and is working for me. the music is mostly good. I just got to the B/W episode which feels VERY Coen-y with these characters talking in allegories and fantastical things happening.

Chris Rock is ok/not great. Jason Schwarzman as the Italian family boss is comedic bordering on unbelievable. Timothy oliphant’s us Marshall character just seems like a typical coen brothers quirky oddball. Singer/songwriter Andrew Bird has an acting roll as the funeral director and he’s doing a decent job.

I’ve only got a couple of episodes left, but im anxious to find out how this all plays out. 

—tg

Well, that was wrapped up with a nice bow. All the story threads finished up satisfyingly. The role of nurse Oraetta Mayflower in the plot makes sense and she gets one of the best lines at the end.

Now I'm curious about the previous 3 seasons of Fargo.

--tg
The first two seasons were good. Skipped the Ewan McGregor season but saw a couple of episodes.

Fargo: Now with more Hamm! November 21 Also, Kiely from Ted Lasso

Fargo Season 5 is here

This show is fun. Very Coen brothers-esque. We are back to Fargo following a housewife with a past who gets kidnapped. Things spiral out of control from there.

We've seen three episodes so far and can't wait to watch more. I would binge it if I could. The most disturbing thing so far is Jon Hamm and his nipple rings. Jennifer Jason Leigh plays the mother in law from hell. Juno Temple is the underestimated housewife. There is a character named Munch who is a soul eater. Joe Keery from Stranger Things and Free Guy plays the not quite bright deputy. Dave Foley plays the lawyer.

Good stuff so far.

I'm still curious about the earlier seasons...maybe I'll go back and watch those and let the new season accumulate a bit. 

true Detective's next season, w/Jodie Foster is coming up soon. Slow Horses season 3 just started too. 

So many choices!

--tg
Finished. Really enjoyed this. Kaylie pulls off the Minnisota accent ok. Hamm plays evil pretty well. Good supporting cast. The very Coen-esque dues ex machina assassin in the kilt was a great character. The season had Lots of twists and turns. some of it was brutal, a lot was funny. Some strange. The puppet episode for example. 

The finale was done very well and was actually over fairly quickly, with the remaining half being epilogue for the various characters. Kilt-assassin was the best. 

Recommended

Now I have to go back and watch seasons 1-3

--tg
We wrapped this up last night, too. It should have been called ten minutes of Finale and fifty minutes of coda. This was a good return to form for Fargo. The sort of redemption of Jennifer Jason Leigh was good. And I thought the kids in the hall guy did a great job.

I loved the absurdity of the ending. I just kept chuckling about our centuries old killer having to deal with dot.