Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disney Debacle
Did Disney have to go to all that trouble just to get HK to work for them again. It seems a bit much.

And HK, what's going to happen when Disney wants to centralize all operations, again, and they want the Pixar people back in Los Angeles? I mean they have that lovely animation building and I'll bet there's not a lot going on in there right now.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Needless to say, I've been following all the varied story lines swirling around this. It would seem to be a bit much to pay, just to get me back in LA. And in fact, it is. And I'm not going there. Pixar'll stay here and do what it does, (me doing whatever it is I do there,) and Disney will stay there and - here's the tricky part - start doing again what it should be doing. I don't think anyone believes they should make Pixar movies; they should make Disney movies. That'd be best. They'll just get an opportunity to answer to another film maker who is driven to tell great stories and bring great characters to life, instead of answering to a Harvard MBA. Who's smart, but not a storytelling film maker.

This marks the first time since the mid-60s - a brief period after Walt died - that animation decisions will be made by an animator. Since then, the reigns of animation have passed from one suit to the next.

This is truly a remarkable moment, and one that will have, I believe, significant cultural impact. I think Bob Iger is smart and savvy, and recognized the one simple truth that Eisner never really understood; animation drives all the Disney business. Bad animation product brings everything else down. Except maybe ESPN. Good animation pushes everything ahead. Oh, and helps make more money.

I'm personally thrilled at the prospect of other animation companies scrambling to give their own version of John Lasseter executive level creative control.

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!

As if. Who else will be willing to give that up in favor of some "artist"? Won't happen anywhere else.

I'm buckle'n up. It's gonna be interesting!
i'm going there next week. do i got to ninja someone's ass for you HK? just say the word. that's what DOOM bros are for.

then again, i'll probably be so deep in debt from the trip that i won't be able to afford the shuriken. damn mouse. always gots it's puffy white-fingered gloves in my wallet.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I'm just now starting my job search. I've got some leads here & there. Might precipitate a move, but we'll see what comes. Not in a hurry to land anywhere, so I'm going to try and wrangle a nice spot.

As far as Dland goes, be sure to get their early enough in the day to spend the 2 plus hours in line for the Submarine ride. Go straight there if you get into the park early. (Pre-9am)
We stayed at the D-land hotel, got in as soon as it opened and monorailed it directly to Nemo. Wait time - 2 hours (less than usual, average was 3 hours before). So we bailed on it and went for Autopia (my kid's fav). We came back much later, just prior to the parade, and it was less than half an hour. The best part was the seagulls, but they can be seen from the line. You don't need to go on the ride for that. It was like watching a video of Nemo underwater. Much of the stuff is the same as it was before, like the ruins at the beginning. The volcano was enhanced, but only by video screens. It was disappointing. I was expecting more.

The Buzz Lightyear ride still ranks up there as the DM fav.
It goes something like this:

"We need a Nemo-themed ride."

"Where?"

"Disneyland. Subs re-do."

"Oh. Hmmm."

"Hmmm."

"How about..... naah."

"Hmmm."

"Maybe.... ummm.... maybe Nemo could, you know, get lost. Again."

"Again?"

"Yeah. Why not? Marlin an' Dory look for him. Other fish 'n stuff. 'Nemo! Nemo! Where y'at? That sort of thing."

"Hm. Yeah. Why not?"

It's good work if you can get it. Honest.
I want puppets and robots on my ride, not cgi screens. I would have enjoyed it much more if they were all puppets and robots. Like the Indiana Jones ride (which I rode for the first time this year - T has been too young for it until now - I'm the only one in the family who enjoyed it thoroughly - too scary for T, too loud for Mrs DM). Anyway, I wanted to see a real puppet of Bruce the shark. I guess that's why I liked the seagulls the most.

Star Tours is an exception. Of course, that has some good robots.

We stayed at the hotel this year and that was the best part of the trip. The little touches where great - all the hidden mickeys in the carpet and wallpaper and such. There was Tink spreading fairy dust around the walls of the room, just beneath the ceiling and it glowed in the dark. Loved that. It's all about Tink
[Image: fairy.gif]