Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sullivan's Travels (1941) by Preston Sturges
Of late, every time DM writes a classic movie review (e.g., Meet John Doe, The Lady Vanishes), Greg assails him with "Watch Sullivan's Travels."  On top of that Criterion.com has started to call attention to that movie.  So last night I bit.

This has a little bit of everything.  Action both dramatic and comedic, unpredictable twists and turns, an exploration of attitudes and misunderstandings about what it means to be poor, a main character who grows and changes more than the Grinch, and a very clear message that likely changed attitudes back then but in the present would likely fall on deaf and dumb ears.

Lots of whip-smart dialog throughout (was the board room scene near the beginning one long shot?  Whatever, it was impressive).  Veronica Lake gives the first notable performance of her short but pyrotechnic career and hints at having a second eye.  Joel McCrea, who I don't know much about, absolutely nails his demanding lead role.

Highly recommended.
I'm nobody's pony.
Oh, the discussions we could have. With a little sex.

I don't know if the first scene was one long take but it was done in a day as an FU to the producers who were telling him he was going too slowly.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(08-31-2020, 12:53 PM)cranefly Wrote: This has a little bit of everything. 

sword fights?

(08-31-2020, 01:32 PM)Greg Wrote: Oh, the discussions we could have. With a little sex.

[Image: AdvancedPalatableLeafhopper-max-1mb.gif]
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Those who know, know.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Okay seen. Yes this was quite good, quite a ride. Veronica Lake was enchanting. It goes so many places.

It just needed a sword fight.
I should add that this was my last DVD for a while. We've cancelled our Netflix DVD delivery. Constantly juggling those streaming budgets = 2020 problems.

It was good to end on a great film.