Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joyland by Stephen King
I haven't read much by Mr. King in a while ("while" = "years") but my older brother dropped this one on me when I was last visiting. I had forgotten what a good storyteller he is and what a good writer he is. The book was a coming of age story, gently written with a lot of small truths and enough plot to keep it together. A very well-written, enjoyable book.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
This is classic King. I pretty much finished it in one sitting.

It wasn't great but it kept me interested and the characters were well fleshed out. In fact, the characters overpowered the story (which was 'meh') except for the 'special' day at Joyland.

The end was pretty terrible though and did not at all fit with the 'Summer of '42' feeling one got from the main narrative.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
"The characters overpowered the story" : That is a really good, brief assessment of the book.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.