Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Magnetic Fields @ The UC Theater 05/01/17
The Magnetic Fields is a band created by Stephin Merrit.

Stephin was the songwriter for The Sixths, a quirky band with a catchy 'clockwork' rhythm pattern.

I enjoyed one of his earlier albums, "69 Love Songs", just for the audacity of releasing a 3-CD volume without being a household name.

They rarely tour and I love The Fox so I snapped up tickets.

This tour was supporting the new album "50 Song Memoir", a musical diary of Stephin's 50-year life, with each song representing a significant event of each year. We attended the 2nd night, songs 26 - 50.

The stage set was brilliant. Stephin performed in a 5-sided "room". Each wall had a large window revealing a band member behind it.

I had never heard the music before, and Dee Dee was less-than-enthusiastic about going. We were both blown away. The songs were alternatively funny, touching, racy and nostalgic. Stephin introduced each number with a story or reading that set the tone for the next song.

I had told her I just wanted to see a few songs and we could leave, but we were both captivated by the performance but stayed through the intermission and were disappointed by the lack of an encore.

On a side note, this was the first show we saw at the UC that was fully seated. I actually had room in front of me to stretch my legs!

This song should be our national anthem:
[Image: magpie13.gif]