Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spookfest
Subsonic @ Palacio de Bovino 10/30/9

A long time ago, LB, ED, KB and the future Mrs. ED used to go to the Palacio to catch live wrasslin. This was prior to the rise of WWF/E, back in the daze of AWA, back when it was cool. We'd get sloshed in the parking lot and have a grand time. We went almost every month. There was wrasslin' at Subsonic, sort of a S.F. spin on luchadors. It was mediocre, but good for the flashback.

Subsonic is Live 105's late night/early morn dance/trance/rave/electronica mix. Sometimes at that hour, it's very satisfying for a drive home. Subsonic at the Cow was the first of its kind, bumping the nasty Exotic Erotic to the week prior, on it's 30th anniversary no less. And Subsonic was pretty cool - nice kids, all costumed, clean, fresh, unspoiled by the ravages of the party lifestyle soon to come. The main arena and south hall housed two dancehalls. The north hall was for wrasslin. A lot of drunk young pretty girls. Dm cleaned a lot of puke basins, but that's ok. One girl accidentally took two shots of febreeze - she was rolled immediately - and yes, her puke smelled fresh and flowery. Another girl dressed as the absinthe green fairy got cyalume in her eyes. That was a KB double take for DM.

Crystal Meth was the same as always. Basement Jaxx was pretty cool. Infected Mushroom was mediocre. Dm was in the crowd with another vol, a young newbie, who commented that some track Steve Aoki sampled was 'so high school'. It was some trancy ravy crap that Dm only marginally recognized, so he quipped 'maybe your high school. my high school was led zepplin'. Then later, Jaxx sample Bohemian Rhapsody and dm said 'now this is my high school!' the newbie had to look at dm in the light to realize that he easily twice her age.

It was a very refreshing Halloween event. Dm hopes it catches on and they do it again next year.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I would have been here but T had a meet in San Luis Obispo. Dodged another bullet.

Quote:17 people hospitalized at Cow Palace concert
Rachel Gordon, Chronicle Staff Writer
Sunday, October 31, 2010

(10-30) 15:28 PDT DALY CITY -- Seventeen people who attended a concert Friday night at the Cow Palace in Daly City were hospitalized for apparent overdoses of drugs and alcohol - the latest trouble at the state-owned venue.

Emergency medical crews from San Francisco, Santa Clara and Alameda counties responded to San Mateo County's mutual aid request after reports came in of multiple victims at the large event, Robyn Thaw, spokeswoman for the San Mateo County Health System, said Saturday.

The victims were taken to five hospitals in San Mateo County and San Francisco. Their conditions weren't immediately available Saturday afternoon.

The event, called Subsonic Spookfest 2010 and sponsored by radio station Live 105, was open to partygoers 16 years old and older, according to the Cow Palace website.

A rave held at the Cow Palace in May left two people dead and injured more than a half-dozen others. In 2003, two people died of overdoses at a concert there. The Daly City auditorium, right across the city's border with San Francisco, is owned by the California Department of Food and Agriculture.

State Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco/San Mateo, said the Cow Palace has a history of inadequate on-site law enforcement and medical personnel to deal with problems.

"The problems at Friday's rave event wasn't the first time a tragedy like this has happened," Yee said Saturday.

Unfortunately, he added, the status of the Cow Palace as a state entity has tied the hands of the local authorities in Daly City to demand more police and paramedics on scene.

"If the Cow Palace fails to immediately develop a policy to protect our community," Yee said, "I am prepared to introduce legislation that would require them to provide an adequate police and medical presence before hosting these raves."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...1G4HCN.DTL
Last year, Spookfest was scaled down to the Grand at SF. I didn't bother (or you would have heard about it here).

This year, it moved to Oakland - 15K+ sold out tight. Calvin Harris headlined - I didn't realize who he was until yesterday, and wish I had paid more attention. The place was packed, one of the most packed floors, disastrous crowd control. RM looked like the triage tent in a war film. The best word to capture the evening = vomity. Great costumes. Ever wonder where all those sexy Halloween costumes sold at Halloween stores and such get worn? Spookfest. Ever wonder where's Waldo? Spookfest. At one point, we were surrounded by four of them. The eDM scene continues its sonic march forward, bigger, louder, crazier.