Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neil Young @ Fox 7/12/2010
So last nite, with t nicely tucked away at a friend's house, mr. & mrs dm ventured to downtown oaksterdam where all the riots have been, where it is littered with images of the deceased oscar grant, where the police will cut 80 off their force (supposed to be today, but there was a delay), just to see neil young at the fox. neil was doing a solo set, a seated show, $200 on the floor, $150 up to the balcony and $70 for the nosebleeds. staff wasn't permitted to stand and gawk and no one could be seated during songs. rather anal of neil actually. so the dm's spent the show staring at a black drape curtain and listening. mrs dm. chided dm about what a lame date it was, but then said she liked it as it forced her to really tune in to the music. dm unintentionally wore a bgp shirt and caught some flak for it due to past politricks and the management of the fox, but that added to his general nuisance amusement. neil only played for a hour and a half, and some obscure tunes form his extensive catalog . it was really good, the brooding dark neil - it's just amazing how big a sound he can get with just a guitar, floor pedals and a harmonica - but after mccartney's 3+ hour set of best of hits, it was a bit of a let down, plus looking at the curtain just annoyed dm. nevertheless, it was an easy show, just had to navigate two docs and three newbie vols, and only had one call - some dude who was stretching in the hall because the bass was too much.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Couldn't you have stayed home and listened to your Neil Young CD's?
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Did he do "Pants on the Ground"?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/blogs/2010/01/neil-young-sings-pants-on-the-ground/">http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... he-ground/</a><!-- m -->

--tg
Neil is still awesome. So many of his songs are personal anthems. And he's rocked my core many times in the past so I'll keep coming back. But his last two live performances - this and Greendale - left me wanting.

Mrs. Dm was satisfied and that's all that really mattered.
The ticket price thing is getting out of control. I've seen Neil twice and he puts on a great show, but $75 for 90 minutes?

I saw him for $40 at the Concord Pavillion a few years ago and he played for 3 hours.

Shouldn't he be getting most of his income from Social Security these days?
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Not if you are Canadian.
There have been lots of Bridge Benefits. There was that last Greendale tour at Shoreline, which didn't move me. He closed the earthquake benefits back in '89 and blew me away with that. There was also an amazing tour that hit the Cow Palace where his only stage prop was this cartoonishly large Fender Amp. That was electric distortion mayhem as the old Palacio de Bovino is good for distortion. He's a bit like Dylan to me - sometimes off, sometimes a Rock Legend.

And yeah, of the two shows I was at this week, the ticket prices were way too high. I don't know why people pay for tickets anymore.
Because we can't all be in Rock Med. Duh?

I vote we change the name immediately to the Palacio de Bovinos.
We've been calling it Palacio de Bovino for years. I might have even used that in one of my many music reviews. Oh look!
http://brotherhoodofdoom.com/phpBB3/view...f=7&t=1827
Back Door? San Francisco?