Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kinky @ Fillmore 3/21/8
So I was up in the Tenderloin doing this co-op project with our non-profit, the Tiger Claw Foundation and Capture the Dream, which netwroks to actualize the dreams of children. We were working with Glide, Cecil William's school deep in pit of the Tenderloin - an amazing school, truly inspirational, an innocent lotus rising from the bog of hell. We donated some mats, posters and lanyards. Several local teachers came and showed the kids some moves. It was the launch of a new boys' program, one with no budget. We did it in a park, usually locked, across the street from the P.D. It was a brilliant day. A one-eyed drunk ranted and heckled us from the sidewalk. The kids had a blast. After it was over, I made it for Japantown in hopes of catching something worthwhile at the Kabuki, but my timing was off, so I whiled away the hours in Kinukiniya mall. I ran into Robin Williams there. He was dressed in a dark low-profile jumpsuit and dark glasses. I tried not to gawk. My years backstage have built decent non-gawking skills. Robin bought a hat at the store I was in. He kept saying 'thank you, thank you' as if happy to be able to do this and not be pestered. I left the store and moved on to that cheesy sword store. I looked up and Robin followed me. I had to get around him and said 'excuse me' He replied 'thanks' but I couldn't penetrate his drak glasses to see if I made eye contact. In retrospect, I wished I had complimented him on his shoes, which were bright red, with skeleton feet printed on them. As he came into the store, the store owner greeted him and said 'This just came in. I only have one. I thought immediately of you' I peered over his shoulder and the merchant had what appeared to be a mediocre bloody mary style switchblade. Robin flicked it in and out a few times and again muttered 'thank you, thank you.' I thought the vendor quoted him $400-something. I couldn't handle it. Too weird. I had to leave. I wandered around the neighborhood until showtime. The opening DJ caught everyone's attention with a Spanish version of The Wall in the mix. Kinky opened with Mexican Radio, a song that always brings a smile. I spent the first few songs trying to characterize them - Mariachi punk? No, not quite. Latino post-rave dance? Nope, that's not it either. Is that an accordian? What the hell!? The audience was dancing like crazy. The Fillmore wasn't sold out, but the floor was thick with writhing bodies making it seem much fuller than it was. After a few tunes, I gave up and returned to chatting with Fillmore staff. They are talented, no doubt, but their sound failed to captivate me. I was really only there because my family was away on a GS campout and I was already in the city. It made me think of the daze when I used to walk from AFS to the Warfield and work it - just catch whoever was playing. Those were hazy times and I can't remember half of the bands I saw during that period. Alas, to have that kind of freedom - it seems like such a waste now. So much work to be done. So many souls to be saved, including my own.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse