Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Galway Series by Ken Bruen
The happy go lucky of Irish caricature are not to be found in the pages of Ken Bruen's books about alcoholic detective Ken Bruen. It's more about nihilism and noir. Supposedly, there is supposed to be redemption, but I have yet to see it. Granted, I picked up these books to get a taste of Ireland, but it's not really the taste I wanted.

Let me say the writing is interesting and evokes a very particular hell on the west coast of Ireland. Jack Taylor, former member of the guards and all around bad guy. People think he has a penchant for solving mysteries so they come to him. But solving these mysteries is conincedental to him wandering around Galway in search of drugs or Guiness. If he's not drinking he's having arguments with everyone he knows. Or he muses about the state of modern Ireland with it's adoption of American ways, the quest for wealth, and the abundance of non-nationals.

In The Magdalen Martyrs, Jack is hired by the local mob boss to find a woman who worked in the notrious Magdalen laundry located in Galway. Jack is told the woman was a saint and the mob boss wants to reward her. In reality her nickname at the Laundry was Lucifer. In the meantime, Jack discovers pills and Liquid E which only helps his downward spiral.

The Dramatist picks up the story with Jack Sober. A stint in jail has put him on the right path. His former drug dealer wants him to find out who murdered his sister. Officially, it's listed as an accident. But a book by JM Synge is found under the body and the Drug Dealer insists that book wouldn't be with his sister.
Again there is lots of arguing with everyone Jack comes in contact. He hates the priests. He gets attacked by a guard who's married to Jack's former lover. Instead of drink, he stumbles around avoiding the drink. He solves the murder but tragedy strikes in his life and he goes mad.

The Priest raises the lovely subject of pedophile priests and their subsequent fall from grace in the eyes of Irish society. Jack regains his sanity and acquires a little luck. He gets an apartment. He gets a job and he gets adopted by Cody who wants to be a private eye. There is actually a bit more detection in this novel than the previous ones. Jack still takes time out to go to bars and not drink. He fights with the people who want to help him. He brings justice to people who have wronged him, usually violently. He falls afowl of the rich and powerful of Galway. In the end, he solves the case to no ones satisfaction and again the books ends on a tragic note.

I might have to read the next one to see if Jack's redemption continues. But these are bleak novels with nary a breath of levity to lighten the darkness.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit