Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Odd series by Dean Koontz
Does anyone prefer Koontz to King?

Currently the Odd series is up to three books: Odd Thomas, Forever Odd, and Brother Odd. It's about Odd Thomas who sees dead people in order to protect the living.

In book one we are introduced to Odd Thomas, the politest young man on the planet. Something big and bad is about to happen in town and he's the one who can prevent.

In Book two, Forever Odd, Odd Thomas races to find a kidnapped boy after he encounters the ghosts of the boy's muredered adopted parents.

Book Three, Brother Odd, Odd Thomas takes a break from seeing ghosts and goes to a monastery. Unfortunately, doom soon makes an appearance.

The first book made me read the other two books. Damn that first book. All the books have this same medium tone. No build up to suspense. No heaping on of tragedies to make the hero's journey more and more perilous. Odd wanders the town and then solves the problem in all three stories.

Everybody talks the same in the books. They all have the same sense of humour. All the people revere Odd for his special gifts and his unselfish sacrifices to keep the communities safe. Even the bad guys never go beyond one note.

And what's with Koontz and the secret underground bases? In his Forever Night series about the guy who is allergic to the sun, he spends a lot of time wandering in the warren of tunnels under the town which connect to the military base. In the Odd series second book, once again we are in the storm drains. They also go on forever and have connections to the military base.

The stories need more drama. The bad guys in all three books were weak, a suppliment to talk about Odd and his strange abilities. They never really threaten Odd. They don't make him struggle.
Of the books, the first might be worth reading. I'd skip the next two. From the way Brother Odd ends, I'd expect more books.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit