Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Simon @ Berkeley Greek 10/6
Every time I see Paul Simon, I have a similar reaction. He comes on stage and I think this guys is soooo short. Then about halfway through, I think he's huge. What a performer. What a songlist. With his stature, he can command an extremely tight band and very song was reinterpreted in a live jammy way. I was reminded how titanic Graceland was for me - it brought me back to working at Sunnyvale Public Library between college and grad school. It sent me into the world of Soweto sound, where I recently returned after seeing Tsotsi. The Boxer, Bridge over Troubled Waters, Mrs. Robinson, so many anthemic tunes. A fine show, and on the night of the Moon Festival, no less, except it was overcast in Berkeley.

A funny moment: A group of obese and obnoxious people sat right in front of us during Slip Sliding Away. The Greek lawn is crazy steep, and they laid out this blue plastic tarp, and everyone around was giggling at them. Sure enough, they tried to sit on it and nearly slid into the fence cables.

Also Stacy kept thinking of when Paul put on the chicken suit for SNL for Still crazy after all these years. It kinda spoiled that song forever...or perhaps just gave it a different interpretation.

We wound up talking to Paul's sax player after the show. He was thrilled by teh Greek's acoustics, and was just beaming with the post show glow. Made good eye contact with Paul as he exited - the dude looks really old and fat up close. But he can still sing and play, and that's all we really ask.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse