Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Goldfinch
Do you remember the days when agents would change people's names so they would be receptive to the public? That ship has sailed if you judge by the cast list for this movie. The Goldfinch stars Ansel Elgort, Finn Wolfhard, Aneurin Bernard, and Oakes Fegley. You might know Ansel from Baby Driver and Finn was in Stranger Things.

The Goldfinch is the story of a young boy who is caught in an explosion at a museum that kills his mother. During the aftermath of the explosion, he steals a painting of The Goldfinch. Then bad things happen to him. And more bad things. 

It's a moody piece full of darkness. Most of the characters are morally bankrupt in some way or another. Except for DM's crush, Nicole Kidman, who plays a mother who takes him in for a little while before, Theo's (the young boy from the explosion) estranged alcoholic father comes to take him away. The timeline jumps around from young Theo dealing with the aftermath of the explosion and older Theo still dealing with the aftermath of the explosion.

I thought it was good but dark and depressing. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 24%. I think it gets a low score because it was based on a pulitzer prize winning book that was 700 pages long and I can't imagine all of that book made it into the movie.

Not recommend except to see Nicole be the ice queen in her few scenes.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(01-26-2020, 07:40 AM)Greg Wrote: Not recommend except to see Nicole be the ice queen in her few scenes.

I'm in.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
No kidding.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Finally got here. The pandemic got in the way.

Luved it. Not just because Nicole was so Nicole, like she always is. I luved what it had to say about art, about tragedy and about life. The fleeting moment when everything can change for some random unforeseen unblameable event versus what stands eternal. It was a very complex plot, one that went a lot of places but it all came together in the end. The two actors that played the lead - the kid and adult - delivered solid performances and kept good continuity, so much so that I kinda forgot about Nicole, as incredible as that seems. Something about how the whole story moved really worked for me. 

No swords at all but a terrrible acid trip, as in the worst buzzkill ever. Recommended for DOOM art lovers.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse