Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basket Case by Carl Hiassen
I've been against Hiassen since I read striptease. He was like an Elmore Leonard wannabee without the writing chops. I did like some of his articles about Disney and it's destruction of Florida but all it was diatribe and the same rant.

I was out of books on the boat to Bermuda (crap that was a lot of alliteration) when I noticed Basketcase in the ships library.

It's about a reporter who has been demoted to the obituary pages after telling his bosses at the newspaper to go blow themselves at a stockholders meeting. He becomes obsessed with death and when people have died. He's constantly comparing their time of death to his own and how he measures up.

The main story revolves around the death of rockstar under mysterious circumstances. It's the reporters chance to write one last big story before he quits the paper. He wants a frontpage byline before he goes.

Well people start dying and things get convoluted as he tries to discover how the rock star died and why the rest of his band is turning up dead, too.

The characters were engagingly quirky. The reporter has some depth to his character. It made for an enjoable boat read. Next time you cruise, I reccommend it.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit