Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flogging Molly - 08/03/16 The Fox Theater, Oakland
I love The Fox. It's close, lots of free street parking and 1 block from BART. It's beautiful inside with giant Buddha reliefs with glowing eyes.

And Flogging Molly's preferred venue when in the Bay Area.

If you haven't seen a Flogging Molly show you have really missed out on something special. It's a Pogues + The Clash at 78 RPM. There are fiddles, accordions, mandolins and boghrans. The whole front section turns into a friendly and fierce mosh pit. At this show a girl in a wheelchair was lifted up and crowd-surfed to the stage where she was invited to park next to the band.

Saying the music is high energy is like saying Iron Man has some metal bits in his costume. It's a non-stop barrage of Irish punk-folk, inspiring epic sing-alongs and hook-laden earworms.

The opening band was Frank Turner and The Sleeping Souls. If the headliner wasn't Flogging Molly they would have stolen the show. I have no idea why I have never heard of this guy. Emotionally-charged, hook-laden, anthemic songs of strength and despair. When they finished their set I had that feeling you get when the headliner has done their encores and it's time to go home.  I ended up buying one of his records at the merch booth (I love how artists have started bringing vinyl to their shows).

I would have to rank this show as one of my top-ten best non-Dead concerts ever.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
I really like Flogging Molly. They strike a chord with me
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm