Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Serious Man (2009) by Coen brothers
Ebert gave this 4 out of 4 stars, many other critics give it high marks, it’s on the 366weirdmovies list, and I hated it. The Coen brothers owe me one. Actually two, because I also didn’t like Barton Fink, also on the 366weirdmovies list.

Which begs the question: Is it just me? Do I just not “get” the Coen brothers?

I loved Blood Simple (1984), Fargo (1996), The Big Lebowski (1998), and had considerable respect for No Country for Old Men (2007) and some other of their films. But wow. A Serious Man is like one long anxiety dream. The passive protagonist is surrounded by assholes from his kids to his wife, to relatives, neighbors, colleagues at university (he’s a physics professor), lawyers-- The list goes on. Who in their right mind would want to sit through something like this?

Usually, when watching a film, there’s a character or two that you become attached to, and you look forward to seeing them in a scene. There’s no one like that in this film. I loathed everyone in this film. Yes, I initially felt compassion for the protagonist (I’d hate being in his shoes), but soon lost patience with his enabling passivity.

A Serious Man deals with faith, and you're immersed in Judaism (a Jewish community, the customs, words, etc.). Some people have said you need to be Jewish to appreciate it. No, even that wouldn’t help. It’s bleak and pointless, monotonous and simplistic.

Critics seems split down the center on A Serious Man. Here’s a quote by one that pretty much sums up my feelings:

“The movie raises more questions about the Coens’ storytelling depth and competence than it does about suffering and faith… ‘A Serious Man’ has the cramped intensity of a mid-period Ingmar Bergman movie remade by a couple of secular-Jewish comedians.”–Michael Sragow, The Baltimore Sun.

I would only add that there's nothing funny about this movie, unless you're amused by another person's suffering.
I'm nobody's pony.
Although I haven't really kept up with them all. In fact, I've totally lost track of them over the last few years.

Did you see O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
...but I haven't. I suspect I'd like it. I've heard good stuff about it from people I'd trust unless they were holding a sword.

Barton Fink had a nice setup, the gifted "artiste" lured into the Hollywood hellhole by money. And yes, I did like the depiction of writer's block. The problem for me was that Barton turned out not to be gifted at all, at least from what I could piece together. Though he thought he was telling the story of the common man, in fact he was totally out of touch. So the "Christian thrown to the lions" angle fell through for me. Barton truly belonged in Hollywood, the land of self-delusion and lies.

Maybe that was the point of the movie. But I don't think so. I had a hard time empathizing with Barton Fink, or even liking him. Which makes me question how aware the Coen brothers are of how their characters come across.

I suppose the character that interested me most in Barton Fink was the Hollywood head, the total bullshitter. He was just fun to watch happen.
I'm nobody's pony.
As I said on the BF thread:
Drunk Monk Wrote:I did enjoy BF because I thought it captured writer's block well with its mood.
I've find much of the strength of Coen Bro flicks is their quirky characters. I can see where that can get annoying tho. Like I said, I really haven't checked in with their work in some time. But given your tepid review of ASM, I'll probably give it a miss.
I can't think of a single Coen brothers film I really enjoyed. I keep going back to the well because they are constantly lauded, but I don't see it.

Same goes with Woody Allen.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
I luv Woody too.

Hollywood has jaded you. You're just a hater now. ;-)
Now?
:goodman:
I also was not thrilled by this one. I think they wanted to do a modern Job but that doesn't come across. And it wasn't funny. And it didn't really go anywhere, it just stopped.

I think my favorite is Hudsucker Proxy, which I highly recommend, and O Brother is also worth seeing.
the hands that guide me are invisible
haven't seen hudsucker. will put that on my queue...
I was just thinking that was one of the few films that approached likability for me. Probably because it riffs on classic screwball comedies.