Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phil Lesh & Friends @ BGC 1/26/8
Mardi Gras. The show opened with Dumpstafunk, a N'O'leans jam band led by Ivan Neville (took me a moment to figure out which Neville brother he was - he was the Hammond player). They turned in a decent set.

Then PL&F took the stage. I heard set one was great but I was way too busy dealing with the nut house that was RM. We had three big L3 restraints. One guy asked to be held down. Another took 11 of us to catch. My Shaolin bro and I had him, arguably the two most senior restrainers present that evening, then he broke my partner's grip, and then mine. A rugby scrum ensued. The last guy took his pants off at backstage left. It was a crazy 1st set, again like the old days. Dm is way too old and broken to be wrestling with these huge trippin dudes anymore. He's working hard to train up the next gen as fast as possible. Fortunately, we did an in-service on restraint prior to the show for our new volunteers. It was met with some skepticism, but we sure showed those newbies a thing or two before the night was done. They were all wide-eyed and sopping up the action like biscuits in gravy.

Second set was mellower. Caught Iko and the parade - that was fun. Caught a Chain, Fire>Rider. The band still sounded great, but played until 1:45 AM and DM was done at 1:00. Saw a lot of old friends. Had a lot of fun. DM can't imagine his youth - doing three Dead shows in a row one weekend here, then three more up in Sacto. Or back doing those multi-show Jerry runs at the Warfield. Those were the days. Youthfulness and more drugs really helped with the momentum. Also, the hangover recovery time wasn't as harsh.

Can barely wait for the next Phil run tho. 8)
Shadow boxing the apocalypse