Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Dreamland" by Kevin Baker
Amazon link: Dreamland

I bought this for my dad's birthday. He grew up on the East Coast and likes historical fiction. A few weeks later he gave it back to me praising it highly and insisting I read it.

Dreamland follows the stories of several New Yorkers circa 1909. They are a motley group of strangers whose lives interact here and there, but mostly live alone in a cruel, corrupt society. They are gangsters, politicians, dwarves, prostitutes and factory girls. They have one thing in common, poverty and hopelessness.

Dreamland refers to one of the amusement parks on Coney Island. The characters all find themselves there at one point or another. The laughter, bright colors and clowns providing a brief respite from their 16 hour workdays or guilt from past and present sins.

Immigration, exploitation and poverty are the key themes in the story (one of the characters works at the Triangle factory, so you know there is going to be a happy ending). Even with the books tragic tone it's difficult to put down. Each page hints at the spectacular train wreck to come, where all their stories will combine in one night of destruction and loss.

I need a drink.
[Image: magpie13.gif]