Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Robbie Robertson
Funny, we were just chatting about him. We had a guest over the weekend, Marcus, who is over a decade younger than us and Stacy referenced the Band, but he didn't know them. I sang (or growled out, hard to tell really) the chorus of Cripple Creek to see if he'd recognize it. He didn't. Might've been my growly rendition. Then, being the earworm that it is, I had Cripple Creek stuck in my head for a bit. Now it's back. 

Always loved when the Dead covered The Weight, as well as Jerry's versions of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
You should have sung a bit of The Weight instead. Cripple Creek is a bit obscure for younger folks. I always liked The Shape I'm In.
the hands that guide me are invisible
The key moment in The Weight is that compounding harmony for when the chorus goes 'and'. I can't handle that, not by myself at least. But growlsinging about a drunkard's dream is in my wheelhouse. Thus my D00M moniker, right?
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Maybe I'm weird, but I was never a fan of The Band. I really dislike The Weight and The Night They Drove Dixie Down. I think the only The Band song that I like is "Stagefrieght".

--tg
I never liked them that much either. I never understood the adulation. And Garcia did a better version of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. Really I'm not sure I ever heard any of their songs besides The Weight on the radio.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I do really like Stagefright...maybe it's the organ.

--tg