Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alice in Borderland (2021)
A new Netflix series. Or rather, a Japanese series that Netflix has claimed as an original but is really just hosting. It evoked Alice in Wonderland and the lead shot had some dude with crazy tats and a katana so I figured I'd give it a view. 

Well, it's not Alice. It's Arisu. And that's a guy's name. This has nothing to do with Wonderland.

Three loser friends hide from the cops in a bathroom in Tokyo. There's a power outage and when they emerge, everyone is gone. Signs lead them to the Game. The Game are puzzle traps of absurd proportions. There's a theme of playing cards and they are given cell phones with clues and timers.

The threesome meet other survivors roped into the game so people can die. One of the losers is a gamer. But the solutions are absurd.

The first one involves choosing the right door in a series of rooms. Wrong door and you get a laser beam through the eye. Wait too long to decide and the room fills with gas and then bursts into flame. 

Ep 2 has a larger band of gamers. They have to find a safe room in a large balconied complex. They are chased by 'Tagger,' an uzi wielding assassin in a horsehead mask. I liked the mask - that was suitably surreal. But I want this to be more surreal. Tagger also has a machete so there's kind of a sword fight. There was a good Christian dig when one of the three loses his virginity to another player. 

It's kinda dumb. It's also quite sanguineous. It does have a nice visual sense, particularly some of the empty streets. Lots of ominous clues.  

Not sure that I'm going to see it through. I'm watching it as background as I get notes for now. Not DOOM recommended. 8 eps at just under an hour each.

I may just skip to the ep with the tatted sword dude.

E3 had a brutal twist. Maybe I’ll watch a few more.

This was based on some manga.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Three slackers end up in a game to the death after being transported into a strange people less version of Tokyo. The first game is a choose your door game that was like the Princess or the Tiger. They must choose the correct door to go through or be killed. But there was a lot of lead up to get that point. In the beginning, we have to get the backstories on the three young men. One is dealing with the grief of his mother's death and gets kicked out of his house. The second is caught with his boss's girlfriend and after a fight loses his job. The third is a dissatisfied office worker. The story follows them until they all meet up. After an accident, they hide in a bathroom stall. When they emerge from the stall, Tokyo is devoid of people. A giant billboard flashes and tells them it's time to play the game.

So many questions. So many loose ends. So much I don't care. I guess I should be used to this after the way Wandavision starts out with so many questions but this show didn't really hit it for me. It's 8 episodes. I might see one more to see if it gets better. Or maybe I don't relate any more to young men struggling with the question of how to get on with their lives.

No sword fights. Yet

As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=5890
I looked, dammit!

Not deep enough down that rabbit hole...

I gave up on this after 3 eps.
Fair enough. I might go dig somewhere else. What I should really do is catch up on The Expanse.

Truth