Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pogues 10/09/06 @ The Fillmore
The Pogues don't make it to America very often. Hell, Shane McGowan doesn't make it out of the pub very often. He must have run out of whisky money because the band convinced him to do a tiny U.S. tour.

The entire U.S. leg of the tour consisted of 10 dates at 4 venues. Of course San Francisco had the most dates with 4 nights at The Fillmore. At one point the $65
tickets were going for $300.00 each on Ebay.

Shane McGowan is the Keith Richards of Irish folk-punk. He has succesfully conquered the demon of sobreity and has single-handedly kept the Irish distilling industry in the black.

Watching him stagger onto the stage Monday night immediately made me think of Ozzy Osbourne. He stumbled around with a cigarette dangling from his fingers until a roadie guided him to his mike. Once in place the band launched into 'Streams of Whisky' with Shane bellowing out the lyrics as only someone who knows them better than he knows his own address could.

'Streams of Whisky' was followed by 'If I Should Fall from Grace with God' and a string of Pogues standards including 'A Pair of Brown Eyes', 'Song of Siam', 'Dirty Old Town' and more.

I stupidly left after the first encore, eager to get the prized Fillmore poster. Thus I missed the 2nd encore featuring 'Fairy Tale of New york' and 'Fiesta'. Honestly I didn't think Shane was going to make it to one encore let alone 2!

Anyway, a great time was had by all and I can't wait for their next tour in another 10 years or so.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
I don't any of their songs, but I should. I recognize them for the fact the original name of the band was a delightful irish phrase, poge ma hon. This means Kiss my Ass. It's too bad they sold out and cut the name to Pogues. Didn't they know Kiss was already taken?
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit