Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of Play (2003)
Another BBC murder mystery series.  6 eps and we're 4 eps deep.  Good so far.  Why is it that Brit murder mysteries are so engaging?  The legacy of Conan Doyle perhaps.  Major HP factor as it's directed by David Yates and he taps his stable of actors: Minister of magic, Rowena Ravenclaw (luv her - could listen to that accent for days - I want her to be my gps voice), Mundungus.  Extra points for Narnia's Mr. Tumnus and the MCU's Wong.  All early roles - everyone looks so young and everyone is killin it with their characters, especially Nighy as the publisher because I can so identify with publisher roles and want to model myself after his character in this.  We suspect the architects of the MP's campaign, and maybe the cheated-on wife in cahoots.  We'll probably finish it tonight and see.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
It’s the “cahoots”. Cahooting is what makes BBC crime stuff so good. No good cahooting on US made shows. Conspiracies, known-associates, etc., but not one decent cahoot.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Finished that.  It was very satisfying, mostly because the supporting cast was fantastic. It's funny because the leads are still totally unknown but the supporting cast have all risen to be on my radar in the last few years.  Nighy as a publisher is my new role model. Luv his work.  Majorly crushing on Rowena right now.  That accent ... my lawd ... so hawt. And Tumnus was solid too. There was a 'stop the presses!' moment, something I've always fantasized about doing as a publisher, but magazines don't have that old skool newspaper urgency.  Also being 2003, it was fun to see the old tech.  Movies rely on too much new tech to tell their stories now.  This was all old flip burner phones and mini-cassette recorders.  The conclusion was satisfying.

No sword fights.  Some shootin at the start, and some punchy outbursts, but it's more about the prim cahooting in that British way.  Recommended for DOOMers who are in cahoots with this genre.
What service?
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Netflix dvd
Ah. Netflix is sending me DVDs from 2014 including Zero Theorem from Terry Gilliam. The top 12 in the queue all have short wait listed next to them.

(04-09-2020, 02:59 PM)Greg Wrote: Zero Theorem from Terry Gilliam. 

http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=3169
Now, it gets twisted. I worked on the American version of this that was made into a movie starring Russel Crowe.

I really should see the movie to trigger thoughts of what I actually built on this movie. I vaguely remember an archives set. And I might have built some really big doors.

(04-09-2020, 04:18 PM)Greg Wrote: I worked on the American version of this that was made into a movie starring Russel Crowe.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Well look at that:
Quote:Gregory Lynch Jr. ... carpenter gang boss

That is your awesumest title yet.  FTW!

That cast looks pretty tight too.  Was it any good?  

okay, i just put your 2009 redux in our netflix queue and it told me that we previously rented it in 2012.  Blush
I'm going to say no.

(04-09-2020, 05:41 PM)Greg Wrote: I'm going to say no.

The Lynch factor again, eh?  Couldn't be worse than McKlusky, could it?  

I added it to our queue but it's like #30+ so we might never get there, or take it out later.
I'm thinking Supernova might be the worst. Especially if you compare it with dollars spent towards expected outcome.

(04-09-2020, 05:41 PM)Greg Wrote: I'm going to say no.

Wrong again.

State of Play (2009) was good. It has a great cast and to see the Hollywood spin on it is an amusing perspective of differences across the pond. Crowe wasn't great - kind of a Lebowski type, more slovenly because Americans. Rachel McAdams was middling. Mirren replacing Nighy was awesome. Luv her. My style as chief editor was the bastard child of Nighy and Mirren. Affleck worked for me in this - usually he doesn't. Robin Wright was great as always. Jason Bateman wasn't as good as the original Foy role at all and Jeff Daniels plays the same role he did in Jobs - powerful white old boy network dude. There's an early Viola Davis cameo.

The original was far superior. This wasn't bad tho and it was remarkable how well they condensed the main series points into a single movie.

Didn't hold out to see the Carpenter Gang Boss credt. We were hoping to get it out in the mail but it doesn't look like the postman is picking up and we missed the post office pick up time. Bummer.

No sword fights. Not particularly DOOM recommended beyond the CGB credit.