Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get Out (2017) by Jordan Peele
It was supposed to be the horror film that rocked the world. Yeah, not so much.

It's from Jordan Peele, of Key and Peele fame. It got a ton of great reviews. And yet.

It felt derivative. It wasn't that scary. And there wasn't a lot to it.

Basically, young black man goes with his white girlfriend to the suburbs to visit the girlfriend's parents. Strange things happens.

There is one sort of big twist but I didn't really care.

Granted, maybe I'm of the wrong ethnic persuasion to grasp the full horror of going to white suburbia.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I liked it for pointing out the way white people talk to people of color. I have Latinos and Black people on my team, but I know them and know where the boundries are. This movie really displayed where 'comfortable' and 'uncomfortable' terms and topics lie. I liked the awkwardness of a black character interacting with black servants. Yes, the premise was borderline silly, but the meat of the movie was palpable.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
If you're going to make a movie starring a relatively unknown black actor and you want to do well at the U.S. box office, there'd better be a really good script behind it.

There's a very good script behind Get Out.

This is one big discomfort-fest for non-blacks to watch, as you keep wanting to say, "No, I'm like that," or "No, I'd never say that."
All the while wondering...

I thought about the movie a lot afterwards.  It's very well crafted.  There were a couple of holes in it, but only big enough to drive a Smartcar through, and going the speed limit.  Some masterful use of foreshadowing, with motifs -- or totems -- that keep reappearing in new and inventive ways, giving an almost symphonic feel to the effort.

High recommended if it hasn't been spoiled for you by now.  Even then, well worth the watch.

Hard to believe this is Jordan Peele's first turn at directing.  I'm hoping he continues in that direction.
I'm nobody's pony.
threads have now been merged
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Dang! Thanks.
I actually searched for it on here, but Get Out matches just about everything.
I'm nobody's pony.
>>I actually searched for it on here, but Get Out matches just about everything.

Really? Get out!  Smile