Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burger Boogaloo 2017
Day 1 - Saturday 07/01:

We walked from our house to Mosswood Park.

12:10 - 12:35 - Car Crash

Very good garage punk band.

12:50 - 1:15 - Vertigo

We missed these guys to get food.

!:30 - 2:00 Personal and the Pizzas
Very
These guys were a hoot. Basically The Ramones. Catchy songs, pizza and tomato throwing and "Thank youse guys for coming !"

2:15 - 2:45 Wounded Lion

Not very exciting.

3:00 - 3:30 Baby Shakes

Very fun band. Early Go-Gos tight pop-punk.

3:45 - 4:15 Losiin' Streaks

Not very exciting

4:30 - 5:00 Bloodshot Bill

One of the best guitarists I've ever seen. This man's hands fly around the guitar neck like a locust invasion. However I don't care for blues rockĀ  so we bailed early.

5:15 - 5:45 Redd Kross

Boring Indie rock.

6:15 - 6:45 Nobunny

These guys were great. Rabbit masks and fierce hook-laden songs. It was all about stage-diving and goofiness.

7:00 - 7:45 Guitar Wolf

They came on stage in Godzilla masks and just blasted guitar riffs the whole set. At one point they pulled a fat white dude out of the audience and hr became band member #5. Crazy loud fun

8:15 - 9:30 Iggy Pop

Amazing

Day 2 - Sunday 07/02:

12:10 - 12:35 - Patsy's Rats

Melodic power-pop reminiscent of The Go-Gos.

12:50 - 1:15 - Glitter Wizard

Oddly enough I actually had a record from these guys. I had purchased it at a small record fair in San Francisco. I just randomly bought a few things to support these small labels and Glitter Wizard was one of them. The sound was early 70's psychedelic heavy metal and I really liked it. Even from a distance as we approached the stage Dee Dee says 'sounds like Black Sabbath'. They were really good and the crowd was really getting into it. I definitely want to see a full show from them.

!:30 - 2:00 Roy Loney

Roy Loney was a member of 'The Flamin' Groovies' and basically did a set of poppy surf/rockabilly tunes. Not my cup of tea but fun to listen to.

2:15 - 2:45 Jacuzzi Boys

I know we watched a couple songs but they were pretty bland so we left.

3:00 - 3:30 La Luz

An all-girl band (except for the one guy who wasn't a girl). They had sort of a grungy 60's girl group sound. I didn't get into it but Dee Dee liked them.

3:45 - 4:15 NRBQ

Winner of the 'what are they doing at a punk festival?' award.I'd seen them a couple of times many years ago while working as an usher at The Great American Music Hall. I'm not really a fan of rhythm or blues so we meandered back to the other stage.

4:30 - 5:15 Quintron and Miss Pussycat

This is where we screwed up. We had arrived early enough to get a seat to the side of the stage. The show oped with a bizarre 'Punch and Judy' style puppet show in an area that was hard to see from where we are. It was also supper crowded and I don't like crowds. We couldn't see the show so we decided to leave and get some food. While we were at the food tents we heard the stage area erupt with sound. Apparently after the puppet show the full band comes out with costumes, props and crazy experimental instruments. It sounded fantastic. I've looked the show up on YouTube but all posted videos have been deleted.

5:30 - 6:00 FM Knives

Another uninspired rock band.

6:15 - 6:45 Shannon and the Clams

I honestly don't remember what they sounded like.

7:00 - 8:00 - X

I had never seen X live. I was mostly familiar with their MTV hits "Hungry Wolf", "Los Angeles", "Fourth of July" (which they did not do for some reason). They were great and all but to be honest they nrver 'clicked' with me. Too 'American' maybe?

8:30 - 9:45 Buzzcocks

This was the cherry on the sundae. I love the Buzzcocks and knew (almost) every song. The crowd went nuts, stages were dived, crowds were surfed and we all became Orgasm Addicts.

All in all it was a hoot to attend a festival where you were home 10 minutes after it finished. The crowd was letting their Freak Flag fly and the endless variety of nostalgic and ironic t-shirts, mohawks and beehives, geezers and students and general peace-loving punk attitude was fantastic.
[Image: magpie13.gif]