Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Zombie books
Well it is not a genre that I am up on, but it seems I read three zombie novels in the last year just because they were in the new books section of the library. So here we are:

Monster Island by David Wellington.
This was pretty good, but it veered off on a supernatural tangent about half way through, and I wasn't completely convinced by that aspect. It was pretty well written though. There are two sequels, but I have not looked for them - I am starting to keep away from series since I will never live long enough to read all the things I would like to.

Omega Days by John Campbell.
This guy is a very good thriller/suspense writer. Particularly strong were the short vignettes about other people to add dimension to the story. Unfortunately it ended abruptly since there is going to be a sequel. Maybe this was because it was apparently adapted from online writings, but I felt cheated. But if I see the next one on the new books shelf I might pick it up.

Red Hill by Jamie McGuire
Well I was annoyed by this one. The writing was pretty good, which kept me engaged, but at the end it felt like a chick-lit zombie novel, since the survivors are nicely paired up, and any difficult personal situations have been resolved by the death of those characters. Not recommended.

FORGOT ONE!

The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell
I forgot this one because I read it almost a year ago, but it was the best of the bunch. You could call it a "literary" zombie novel; while most of these other books are largely plot focused, this one is more character focused, and is looking at revenge, guilt, and redemption. There are some poetic passages that I liked a lot. And it reads pretty quick. And the post-apocalyptic rebuilding is pretty well done too.
the hands that guide me are invisible