Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog Beach by John Fusco
For reasons CF & LCF know, and the rest of the wulin will soon understand, I read new book by the screenwriter of Forbidden Kingdom et.al.. Besides, he's a personal friend and we're obligated to read our friend's books. It's a crime thriller about a Hong Kong stuntman. I'm not much into the crime thriller genre, but John's extensive knowledge of HK film kept me interested. Plus the characters and pacing was good. I kept thinking two things: 1. This would make a great movie and 2. Greg would appreciate this a lot because it's got a lot of film industry insider perspective to which he can surely relate as much as I relate to the stuntman portions. After all, I do my own stunts. srsly. I do. But now that I'm 50, I'm thinking CGI is the way to go. Anyway, Greg, this will probably amuse you - it's a super quick read, more like a pulp paperback than a clothbound - then again, maybe you can just wait for the movie...
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
they had it at my library and I have added it to the queue.

Why wait for the movie when we could just make it ourself. I'm sure KFM would but up the money for such an endeavor.

Lol
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
John has always been very supportive of KFTC. We first met when he cold called me about FK. He started telling me who he was and that he'd written the screenplay (of course, I had been following the progress of that project since its inception, but didn't really pay much attention to the screenwriter). I remember speaking to him with my usual guardedness as we get so many martialooneys calling and at that point, I didn't know him from Adam. But I verified his claims quickly and we began a long phone correspondence which ended in his writing that cover story. We met face2face at the screener which was big in SF (that's when I also first met Crystal Liu and Collin Chou). We've kept up a correspondence ever since.

With this project, John helped me secure advertising from Netflix. We were also working on advertising with Simon&Shuster for this book, but that fell through, at which point John offered to pay for it out of pocket. But I couldn't let him do that as he had already done a lot for us in working with Netflix. And I'm hoping we'll be doing more for CTHD2. John is a guy who gets calls from Harvey Weinstein. srsly now, why would we make the movie ourselves then?
Fusco reminds me a bit of Roger Ebert. Ebert was an SF/comics geek who made good and stayed decent and Fusco appears to be an MA geek who has done the same thing. Nice guy.
I saw Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. That has forever tainted my view of Ebert.
It seemed very slight. Not a lot of depth. Very much in the vein of Elmore Leonard without the nuance, I guess. It's almost like the treatment for a screenplay.

The movie making elements are typical depictions of Hollywood rather than factual. Although I did like the fact the warehouse he blows up is right near my house.
Greg Wrote:It's almost like the treatment for a screenplay.
eggs-zackitally

Greg Wrote:Although I did like the fact the warehouse he blows up is right near my house.
missed it by *that* much....
Hmmm.

What kind of hummingbird feeders do they have in Santa Cruz?
I'm nobody's pony.
big ones.
we gotz lotz o hummingbirds. srsly.