Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elijah Emmanuel/Toots & the Maytals @ the Fillmore 3/23/
EE is from Panama. I've seen them before at SNWMF. Their first song didn't grab me so I left for Hell Room II (a secret Fillmore staff-only chamber). I came in later and enjoyed their last song and wished I had listened more.

Toots was sluggish to begin, still doing his standard schtick of starting out with a classic riddem, then double-timing the beat towards the end, sending the audience into a frenzy. He's showing his age, not the Ben Vereen of Reggae anymore. He got me towards the end, with that same riddem double-time trick. He did a version of Bam Bam, a persoanl fav song, that I didn't care for, but I respect that he tried to reinterpret one of his standards and pushed the edge a little, instead of just going for the easy play-it-like-he-always-has-for-30+ years now. He got me in the end with a 20+ encore that was just darting in and out of different riddems, coming dangerously close to polka or moshpit beats, but then returning to the comfrot of roots reggae and ska. A good show, all in all.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse