Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death Cab for Cutie/Franz Ferdinand/The Cribs 03/24
Venue: Reno Hilton

I'm not really a fan of Franz Ferdinand, but we were going to Reno to visit Dee Dee's folks so I jumped at the chance to see DCfC again.

The auditorium mad the Cow Palace look elegant. It's basically a giant barn with no chairs or tables. The place looked to be about 3/4 the size of a football field. A row of overpriced drink vendors lined the back wall.

The first band, 'The Cribs' came on at 8PM. This was by far the loudest indoor concert I had ever seen. Oh Rock-Med with thine precious earplugs, where art thou? The Cribs were your typical Brit-rock band and I enjoyed them more than Franz Ferdinand.

When I agreed to the show I was under the impression Franz Ferdinand were headlining, which meant I could watch DCfC and leave. Unfortunately they were 'co-headlining', which meant they rotated the lineup each show. I watched about 15 minutes of FF and was driven out by the insane decibel level.

I played some slot machines returning in time to catch 'Take Me Out' and the last few songs of their set.

By now we had been standing for four hours. Our feet hurt, our ears hurt and we were tired.

The crew built the nifty set for DCfC which consisted of some plywood trees and houses which cast some cool shadows when lit up by spotlights from the rear.

DCfC took the stage around 10:30PM. We stayed for 4 songs but were overcome by fatigue and made our way outside.

I cannot recommend the Hilton as a venue unless you really love standing and have no sentimental attachment to your eardrums.
If it's too loud, you're too . . .
Shadow boxing the apocalypse